icon

Alpine 12 R's with mono amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clarionaudio 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  

I what to put 2 Alpine type R's in my car.  I can get the dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm versions.  I want to know whether a mono amp or a 2 channel amp would be better.  also, if i have 300 watts to each sub, would that be 150 to each vc, and the same as 150 watts to a single voice coil sub?  or does that all matter on how you wire it?  thanks

Joe

Joe
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

well since it is a subwoofer, I typically enjoy mono sound from them better.  You can get a 2 channel amp and bridge it to 1 channel and run a series parallel load or whatever (depending on the stability of your amplifier you choose).  I am not familiar with the speakers (i have heard of them, never heard them play). It might better serve you to place the specifics of the speakers and the proposed amplifiers, then I or someone else can better advise you to the advantages/disads to what your purchasing.

Craig Roush

clarionaudio 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
OK, i'll try to rephrase that last aprt a little.  If i have a 300 watt amp, and 1 sub, then there would be 300 watts going to 2 voice coils, which means that the load would be split right?  so each voice coil would get 150 watts.  Well, if this is the case, then would the sub sound as loud as a sigle voice coil sub with 150 watts, or would it be as loud as a single voice coil sub with 300 watts?  just trying to figure out the specifics, that's all.
Joe
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Also, a quick survey.  Which amp would you recomend for powering the 2 alpine subs, an alpine 500 watt mono ( the cool new digital one), or a 500 watt precision power (PPI) amp?  Amy reason to go for one over the other?  I am most likely getting a pinoeer head unit, so I am not too worried about staying with only one brand. thanks
Joe
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2002 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

As far as the amps go.....it's all personal preference and budget dictated....

as far as the wattage to the subs go...it depends on how they are wired up...

A mono amp would be better, but once again it depends how you wire the subs....that dictates the ohm load...

What I would do is get two 4 ohm subs, wire each voice coil in parellel on one sub, hook it up to a mono amp...it would be like this...each sub has it's own amp....

Either that or you could get the 2 ohm version, wire the voice coils on each sub in series, creating a 4 ohm load, than wire them in parellel to create a 2 ohm load...

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic