icon

Alpine R-Type components

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Moovrr 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

I have a pair of Alpine SPR-176A's (6.5") component set to install in my 2002 Civic Type-R for the front, along with a pair of SPR-174A co-ax 2way's for the rear. There is no sub or amp as I am just a beginner trying to improve the factory fitted kit. The head unit is a Sony CDX-F7500 (new) with 50W x 4 at 4 ohms, impedence 4-8ohms.

Can anyone tell me if the H/U is a good enough match for the speakers, or if I have missed something out. I have been trying to find some information to determine if the speaker powers suit the H/U, since the 176's are 50W RMS and the rears are only 40W RMS, will they blow on high volumes?

As you can tell I am a novice, and will be humbled by any advice you can give me. I would also like to set the HPF and LPF on the H/U so it is optimised for the speakers, but again don't know much more than I have typed?

The speaker specs are as follows;

SPR176A's

• 6.5"
  • 200W max 50W RMS
  • 40Hz - 30kHz
  • 86dB/W(1m)
  • 4 ohms

SPR174A's

• 6.5"
  • 160W max 40W RMS
  • 45Hz - 30kHz
  • 87dB/W(1m)
  • 4 ohms
ss586 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  
The H/U's power is not an RMS rating.......even though it does put out ok power, I would still put an amp to them.  Radio power will sound alright, but it has very high distortion level.  Even if you got a respectable amp that was only 40x4 it would sound much better than the radio. Amps have much cleaner power.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
Your Sony HU puts out about 23 watts RMS.  The Type R components will sound fine with this head, but you will probably, as the previous poster suggested, want to give them a bit more power eventually to increase their responsiveness.  Go ahead and install what you have now and you will love the improvement.  Then when you have a few more $$ get a good 4-channel amp @ 50 watts per channel from Alpine or some other mid-priced line.  Don't buy a Sony amp when you get to it, as they are prone to early failure.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

You will never get those speakers to sound right unless you amp them with at least 50 watts rms.  Your mids wont have the impact like they should, and they will definately dissapoint you if you keep them running off the amp.  

And  definately in the future look into getting a sub, as you will be missing out on lots off bass.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
I think for components you should always use an amp and a Sony HU isnt very good anyways even though sadly i have to say i use a Sony HU as well
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
Moovrr 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the advice so far. I didn't realise the H/U only output 23w RMS, so is there a rule of thumb for RMS power, should it match the speakers or be lower than the speaker handling power?

I would like to amp up the speakers, when I have some more $'s. Should I ignore the HPF & LPF settings on the H/U until I have an amp?

Also does anyone know if the supplied speaker wire would be an improvement over the Honda OE?

Thanks again

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

The rule of thumb is that the amplifier should drive the speakers without overpowering them.  At this point, do as DYohn suggested and do a nice install on what you have.  Upgrades will come as you can afford it.

It doesn't hurt to fiddle with the crossover settings on the head unit to tweak the sound to its best.  Look for the higher freqs on the front and lower in the rear.  As you test things out, you may very well find that full-range sounds best all around.

The speaker wire will make no difference.  In this case, go with the original for ease of installation.

00neon 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
i was considering the type R componets, only thing is, my amp i have is 75x4rms and they can only handle 50rms, would that be too much??  if it is i guess ill go with some infinty
1 JL 12 w3 D4
1 MTX 421 D Monoblock
1 Sony Xplod 75x4
Front: Alpine SPX-177A
Rear: JL audio VR690-CXI
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
My guess is the Xplod amp is overrated at 75X4 and the components are underrated at 50rms.  So you should probably stay with those if you've listened to them and like the sound.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

I personally have used type-r 6.5" woofers in a sealed box, powerd with 200 wrms getting sub frequencies, and they don't skip a beat!!  It is better to overpower you speakers then to under power them.

When matching an amp for these speakers get a minimum of 50 watts rms per channel.  10 billion sony rms may do.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic