icon

mtx amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

is the mtx 421d (2003) a good amp for the money?

Quad L Handyman services
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  

MTX amps are among the top 5 picks on my list of amps. i find they are more reliable than rockford fosgate (within the past 2 years of fosgates models or so), and they just seem more efficient than most to me. i can run my  4202(bridged 2ohms, they say they are only rated to 4) as hard as my ears can take, and it barely gets warm. the only time it got hot was when i accidentally threw my jacket in the back on it, and the protection circuitry shut down the amp before it felt as hot as any of my rockford amps ever did.

id say you wont be dissapointed with MTX

netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 1:47 AM / IP Logged  
Funny Sobe_Death you say that, since mtx is on the bottom of my list.  I had a MTX 405(5 ch amp).  It rocked when I first got it, it was running 2 12" mtx 3000s and some mb quart components.  After about 2 months, I was rocking out then all of the sudden it died....hmmm i thought it just go thot since it was the Georgia summer. So I dropped the back seat to get some air to the amp and turned on the a/c .  Hmmm....damn thing never turned on.  12v remote...good, 12v power....good, ground....good.  WTF?  Took it back to the MTX dealer, they confirmed it is dead, no idea why, but they replaced it.  Well I had to wait for 3 weeks, but I got a new one.  So this new one lasted a good while, maybe 2 years.  Then all of the sudden the right front speaker is going hay-wire, sounds like it is blown,  but to do some testing, i switch RCAs on the amp to see if it is the amp.  Everything good, then i swapped actually speaker wire at the amp, turns out to be a bad ch.  So I wire it in parrelell with the left front speaker so we all good for a few months, then the sub ch. dies. nothing, speaker test ok, no burnt VC, and it passed the continuity test on my dmm.  So i bought a Memphis mc-1300.  Now I am one happy dude.  Just my 2 cents.  Never had a problem with the old amps that looked like bricks.  I loved my old Thunder 280.  Fist amp i bought and it still works to this date, it is in my sisters car just rocking a way. 
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
yeah i live in GA too, near savannah out in the boonies! im not sure why, but it just seems like my amp doesnt even break a sweat.  Memphis is one of those top 5 too, along with PPI, Zapco, and JBL.
lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
MTX also on my top 5 list.  Very clean and powerful amps.  We have one hooked up in our show room from 4 years ago and that thing is on every day from 10 to 6!  Still kicking!
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
Im a big fan of the mtx stuff. I sell it and rockford and Ill take a MTX amp any day of the week over a kicker, rockford, alpine, planet, concept, Lightning or pheniox gold. Thats just some of the amps I could think of right now. I have never laid my hands on a memphis so I cant really comment on them. Zappco is really good but very expensive. I dont like JL amps but they seem to be fairly solid. The MTX is still a very good choice in my opinion
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

Although I wouldn't put MTX in my top five they are good amps.  Much better in general than the competition in this price range.  Sorry to hear about your problems, netboy.  I hate to say it, though, that is the sort of thing that does tend to happen in these mid-level Chinese made amps, though...

Memphis and JBL are in a class above MTX, and Zapco in the class above that, IMO.

netboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
MTX isnt made in the US anymore?  I heard that they changed factories but didnt know they changed countries.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
MTX amplifiers are assembled in China.
netboy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
Wow that sucks...MTX rocked when they were made here in the states.  What companies still make products here in the US?
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic