Clipping problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rukuzz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2002 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

Hello to all! 

This is my first time hear.  I have a Sony amp 2150gsx 760w max (bridged 380w x1 @4ohms). 

My question is how do I prevent the amp from clipping?  I am looking to hooking up 2 JL 10wOs and don't want to bust them. 

I have 2 15" punch series 1 woofers now and busted one.  It started sounding like it was torn after I played heavy bass rap music.  I don' t want to do this with the JLs. 

I'm looking for 2 independent slim sealed enclosures for my Toyota tundra access cab?  That way I can drop one when I need space. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2002 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Rukuzz, if the vehicle's electrical system can handle the additional current draw of your system and if your Sony amplifier is wired correctly with the appropriate size cables, adequately grounded, not wired mono into a 2 ohm load or lower, and the gains on the amplifier and any other processors before the amplifier have been properly set, the only thing left that could cause it to clip is the person riding the volume control, but that Sony amplifier should go into protection before it sends DC to your woofers and of this still doesn't mean you won't blow a woofer or any other speaker.

The best protection against blowing speakers besides fusing them is your ears, however both work very well together. Clipping problem? -- posted image.

the12volt

KyferEz 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2002 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

the12volt is right, except that you won't even hear clipping or distortion until it reaches above 10%. At that point it will take a while, but you will eventually blow the subs. I typically tweak my system for max SPL and paly it constantly. My amps all have their gains tweaked, and then, I turn it up till I hear the distortion, then back off some. Doing this, I have tremendous sound, but usually have to replace subs every 6 months to 1 year.

The best way to keep from blowing them is keep volume levels low.

Computer Guy & Electronics Engineer.
Timeport 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2002 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

yeah what they said....

all JL sub can take a beating like no other I've had customers put so much power on them and nothing....pure performance

don't forget subs burn for not having enough power.

Rukuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2002 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  

How do you fuse the woofers I've never heard of that.

Thanks to all for the help!

SmokeyBehr 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2002 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

Fusing them means putting a fuse in the line, so that if you put too much juice to the speakers, the $.25 fuse will sacrifice itself instead of the $250 driver.

Use basic Ohm's law on this: SQRT((max power*.75)/impedance of the speaker)

If you have a 500W max speaker @ 4 ohms, that would give you: SQRT((500*.75)/4)=SQRT(375/4)=SQRT(93.75)=9.68A or a 10 amp fuse.

I've been doing this for years in pro audio systems to protect against those knob tweakers that sneak up on the racks to give it a "little extra", which tends to smoke drivers. Replacing a bunch of 18" drivers gets real expensive, but a box (carton even) of fuses is cheaper than a driver.

91blaze 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2002 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
so would i really need a 50 amp fuse on my positive if im running 3 alum12q audiobahns 1000rms 1400 max dual 6 ohm,  1800rms@1ohm amp?
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2002 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  
Actually,   91blaze, By the math I get a fuse of about 27.38 amps - a 30 would be perfect. It would  probably help if you really cranked it too much. Just carry extra fuses! Clipping problem? -- posted image.
/NyxBass
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 08, 2002 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

Hi RUKUZZ,

Earlier you posted  "I have 2 15" punch series 1 woofers now and busted one.  It started sounding like it was torn after I played heavy bass rap music. "

My guess is that you're saying that the spider tore away from the voice coil on your Rockfords.  I've seen this more than once with these subs.  The problem has to do with over driving the subs beyond XMAX.  Now that you changed subs an excellent idea would be to check the suggested box size from the manufacturer or have a shop calculate the correct one to match your deeeeeeep bass needs (with a snippet of experience added for good measure)!

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
Rukuzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2002 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Big Dog (that sounds cool when u actually say it!Clipping problem? -- posted image.)

I got the Jl on independent boxes with 0.8cu. ft. of space.  I think the specs on a sealed box are 0.75cu. ft. 

when I blew the rock it was on a ported box, which i've read provides more power to subs, that's why i killed it.  Cranked up the volume too high! 

Sorry, I'm a newbee at this!  My bad!Clipping problem? -- posted image.  The Jls are doing just fine.  They bump like crazy.  I did notice they are not as loud as the rocks but the sound quality is exceptional, which offsets the loudness prob at least  for me. 

Only prob I have is with my amp or something!  Look for that thread in this forum.  Maybe you can help me.  I think it's labled something like: "need help with amp problem pls help".

thanks I appreciate your help.   

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic