icon

How do you secure the DIN Sleeve, 03 GTI

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bfeeny 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
I just finished wiring in my new Eclipse HU. But I can't figure out how to secure the DIN sleeve. The tabs you fold back wont fold into anything because the inside of the GTI's DIN area doesn't have anything for the tabs to fold into. I don't want my HU to come flying out if I hit my brakes hard! LOL! Anyways, what do you all use to secure the DIN sleeve because the tabs aren't going to do it.
I am installing my single DIN (Eclipse) in the top part and a factory pocket in the bottom.
Also as far as installing the backstrap peice, the entire back of my radio area is the plastic AC Air plenum.......
Not sure how this is usually done.......dremel?
Brian
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Sometimes you can use some 5mm screws on the sides..or backstrap the radio.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
bfeeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. There is absolutley no way to pull the tabs out, and backstrapping is not a good option since behind the radio is A/C plenum.
I will goto Home Depot and try to find some self-tapping 5mm screws and try to screw the DIN sleeve into the console, that may be the best thing.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
I generally just take a dremal and make notches to bend the tabs into. Just watch what you cut into
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
bfeeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
What I did was I drilled 2 holes, one on each side of the sleeve. The holes were about 7/32" which is the size of the HEAD of the self tapping screws I have (small ones). I put the sleeve into position, and then used the self tap screws and screwed them in. Since the hole is the same size as the head of the screw, it flushed, so I could slide my cd unit in. The Eclipse is supported becuase it has a pocket installed underneath it, and also has the rubber stopper thing in the back inserted intot he factory notch for it.
Its working good! The Eclipse is a bit confusing with its Basic and Pro modes, and not being able to do things like BASS/TREB in Basic mode......but I am learning it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic