icon

amp and sub wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
'93blazer_brad 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Rockford Fosgate 360.2 amplifier and I just ordered a Cerwin Vega DVC 12" sub.  I was wondering what is the best way to wire my sub and amp?  Any diagrams would be a big help.  Thanks

'93blazer_brad 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to add in that the sub has 4ohm voice coils.  I wasn't sure what my amp can handle for wiring and whatnot.  should i wire them in parallel or series?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

Unfortunately that is not a good match.  Your Rf 360.2 amp can only be bridged in mono into a 4-ohm load or greater.  This means yu will have to wire your sub in series as an 8-ohm load, or connect each voice coil to one channel (whcih is the exact same loading on the amp.)  Your amp will deliver 90 watts to each voice coil in this mode.

amp and sub wiring -- posted image.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Dyohn is bang on, you would be best to return the sub for the dual 2 ohm coil version (if they have one) or a single 4 ohm voice coil sub. If you are going to keep this sub, wire it exactly how it was described above.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

I bought the very same sub and worried that it wouldn't get enough power when I realized that I was going to go with only one sub.  Instead of the hassle and expense of returning (on-line buy), I kept it, and it BANGS at an 8 ohm impedence.  The amp gain is barely up, and the 45Hz boost on the amp is just barely nudged at all, I only have it on because its there.

While it is reasonable to wire to the fullest capabilities of the amp, your 8 ohm load bridged to the amp will be the equivalent to 4 ohm stereo.  That keeps the amp cool running that way, not pushing it to the limit.  MY CV sub is the HED 200 wrms, and the 2 channels I have it connected to have an output of maybe 150 wrms bridged this way.

All that to say that if returning it for a SVC won't work for you, (like if you got a cheap closeout deal like I did), then you will probably be pleasantly surprised at the bump you get from the trunk.

'93blazer_brad 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  

hey thanks guys, i bought this sub off the internet, so i won't be returning it.  The good news is, i've got my system in a 93 s10 blazer, so it'll be a little louder than in a car.  i guess i'll just wire it just like the picture above, it should be sufficient for my purposes.  Thanks for the help.

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

good luck with the install.......amp and sub wiring -- posted image.

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have never had a problem with the rockfords running two ohm mono when their not pushed real hard. I would classify this match as not running hard so I personally would try to run the sub in parrel and see what happens. All you do is connect both possitives of the sub to the positve left channel on the amp and both negatives to the right negative on the amp and see if it over heats. If it doesnt, which I would be money on, then you are good to go.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
'93blazer_brad 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

Excellent, the sub is working great.  Its hella loud in the open cab of the blazer.  Thanks for the help everybody.  Peace

flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

If the sub will put out 360 x 2 in stereo, why not just wire it like that?

That's 720 watts total to the sub.

Wiring an 8 ohm load to the amp bridged will drop it's power to 360 to the sub.

If the rockford amp can actually handle a 2 ohm mono load, go for it. The worst that can happen is the amp overheats and burns up. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic