icon

Amp works with radio but not cd audio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jojorios 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
Ok got a question for you car gurus out there. I just got a new Alpine 9807 Head unit for my car. I installed the head unit and the radio played cd's great.  I had an extra Sony XM-2751 (75w RMS 2 channel) amp lying around so I hooked it up to my rear speakers (Pioneer TS-A6990 6X9's). Now when I have the unit set to radio, I get sound through my amp no problem.  But when I change it to play CD/MP3's, no sound comes out. The amp seems to turn off (power/protection light) goes off. Anyone have any possible fixes for this? Or is it something wrong with the amp? Thank you in advance.
lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

Your sony radio has two blue wires comming out of it; you are using the power anntena wire instead of the amp remote wire.  just switch it to the other blue wire behind the radio and it will all be ok.

lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

sorry, i said sony radio, its the same on the Alpine.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm.  If the amp works while listening to the radio but is shutting off when you switch to CD,  it may be because the head unit is cutting off its remote power output for some reason. 

Try this (and please be careful): Assuming you have easy access to the amp, turn your system on to the radio.  Take a voltage reading on the remote on terminal (Positive meter lead on remote, negative meter lead on ground.)  It should read approximately +12V.  Now switch to the CD and see if the reading changes.  If the reading goes away, the head unit has a problem and will need repair.  If the voltage stays on but the amp turns off, this is more interesting... do the test I described and report back before I speculate.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
lagatbezan has the answer, DUH!  Good call.  Man I seem to be missing the obvious tonight for some reason...
jojorios 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you so much guys. It's too late tonight to try that out but I will definetly try it first thing tomorrow morning.  THank you all again.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
now in case it wasn't mentioned above by the guys, and at the sake of repetition (no crap sherlock)  it is the remote on / power antenna mixup as usual.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic