icon

Kitty Hair Fiberglass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wht94stang 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Ok also another question on what this stuff is, considering it's said to mold in kits and to do external parts.  Where can i get it adn waht is it.  thanks
DvMxDv 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

wht94stang,

Kitty Hair is a trade name product made by Fibre-Glass Evercoat.  It's a plastic filler similar to bondo that's been mixed with fiberglass strands.  The glass is like fiberglass mat that hasn't been pressed.  Great stuff for it's purpose (body filler and fiberglass repair), probably overkill for things like pods, kicks or fg boxes...

wht94stang 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
ok well i'm looking for molding a body kit, what do you suggest to do with that.  thanks 
DvMxDv 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Molding a body kit? 

Are you wanting to make your own body kit or create a seamless transition between your car's body and an aftermarket body kit?

If you're wanting to make your own kit, I guess you could use fiberglass, but you'd need to make a mould first and go through many steps.  It could get real expensive real quick.  Not to mention that the first time you "kiss a curb" with your new spoiler, CRACK...  Aftermarket kits are usually some sort of injection moulded plastic like ABS or urethane for the front spoiler.

If you're wanting to smooth the seam between your car and an aftermarket kit, there are fillers that can be used.  You could try bondo to keep it inexpensive or use a specialized product for the plastics that the kits are made of.  Be aware that if you use bondo or another filler to smooth the transition, the same applies when bumping a curb as above.  The filler will crack and ruin the paint...  Not a good idea for a car that is used on the streets...

wht94stang 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

alright well currently my car is off teh streets i bought a lil civic just to use while my mustang hta ti'm working on can be worked on.  I have the kit on it already but want to do a seamless mold between the two.  So your suggestion....I read about kitty hair and bondo but yea doesn't bondo crack under weather conditions, cause then as well i'm going to then get the whole car repainted.  So what's my best option on that.

I'm doing this while i'm fiberglassing my trunk for subs, battery, caps, and my back seats and center console i'm doing a big job but the body kit needed to go on before i did the trunk.  So what can i do for molding that.  thanks

DvMxDv 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

stang,

Any filler that I've ever seen or used will fail in that kind of situation.  Bondo or similar will fail due to time, weather or bumps into curbs, parking stops, speed bumps, etc.  I've never seen a car with a molded on body kit used on the street for any length of time, I've only seen them used as show cars.  You're almost guaranteed to have problems if this car see's any real time on the streets.  My experience is based on the years I helped my dad when he rep'd these products to body shops in the Pacific Northwest.  He retired and I've been a professional geek (Computer Tech) for the last 10 years, so there may be something that's come onto the market since then that will survive this kind of application.  I'd recommend that you check with the custom body shops in the area and see what they think.

Good luck with your project.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic