icon

high class opinion on amps and decks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

i want extreme sq...i am looking at hifonics, zapco, and audison...what are the pros reccomendations?

i think i have decided to sell the Alpine 9811 for the new 8v Eclipse for sound quality reasons...am i right in deciding this?

also, i have boston acoustic rallys, and nx series mids, and wonder how they hold to the focal?  i know it depends on my ear for the sound, but i want to hear what other installers have to say from past experience.

thank you.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
I like focal speakers but I LOVE  Boston Pro components. I would by Bostons over just about anyhing else. As much as I like Eclipse decks, them being my second favorite deck company ever, I still have to give it up for Nakamichi. I have never found a better deck than Nakamichi. Just dont expect flash and glitz because they have none. They are jsut quite simply one of the cleanest decks on the planet. For amps, I cant really say I have any experience with hifonics, I have only heard two zapco amps and I liked them but they were running Boston Pro components so I dont know if it was the amps or just the amazing speakers that impressed me so much. As far as Audison goes I heard them, also running a pair of Boston Pros and I wasnt at all happy with them. Id like to throw the Name McIntosh your way as far as amps go. The are amazing but are also expensive so it depends on your budget.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Choose speakers that you like the sounds of, not what you are told sounds the best. Good choice with the Elipse cd player. I would also consider the high end Xtant amps as well as Diamond.  A bad install or installer can butcher the best of equipment, a good install or installer can make what look and smells like crap sound like a really top notch system. Imagine what can be done with the proper equipment.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
The choice to go with the Eclipse is a good one, now as for the amps, , whats your price range?  Less than $2500?
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
Good choice on the Eclipse.  They always come through.  But, in MY opinion, if you if you want REAL high class and money is not that much of an object you should look into either Nakamichi, Denon, or McIntosh (waaaaay expensive).  I've heard nakamichis serveral times in my life and was quite impressed.  I know a guy who has the Denon DCT-Z1 (i think that 's the model number) in his 98 porsche and WOW!!!  And I don't know how the quality of Audison amps are these days, but I do remember seeing and hearing a set a couple years ago, and I thought they sounded great.  And a friend of my father's has an older McIntosh in one of his cars that still puts out great sound.  You almost can never go wrong with Boston or MB Quart components. But  I've also heard a complete Boss Audio system that sounded great to me too.  In the end, go with what your ears tell you. 
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   high class opinion on amps and decks -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
Eclipse heads are top quality, you can't go wrong.  Don't let an "8-volt pre-out" make the decision for you, make it based on sound quality.  If there's a dealer in your area, also take a listen to the Nakamichi CD45z, which is in the Eclipse price range.  Boston Pro or Z series components are great speakers and compare in terms of quality to anything from any one else, including Focal or Diamond or Quart, etc.  Buy the speakers that sound best to you.  Go to a shop armed with a CD you know well and compare!   Oh, and for processors/amps, Zapco is very highly recomended.  If you can afford them, you can't go wrong there either.
Support the12volt.com
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Seems like your looking at the proper head units,but don't be fooled by the high end glitz .Panasonic,Kenwood and JVC hold their own(I and a friend hold a few 1st and 2nd place SQ trophies in regional competions).I have never seen a Zapco amp in operation but have heard from good sources that they do the trick nicely.I have carried HiFonics since 1991 and they produce some outstanding amps.They also make some entry level product to get started.Remember you get what you pay for.As for entry level stuff,not many Corvette owners admit that a Chevette is a Chevorlet product,but it is.
BigDog
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
And I forgot earlier to mention: take a look at Autotek amps.  Great SQ at reasonable prices.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic