icon

Wiring and subsonic filter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
charlie101_1999 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to be running a MTX 895 5 channel in a mountaineer. It's rated at 70 X 4 and 320 X 1 @ 2ohms 12.5 volts.
I'll be pushing (4)5X7 Infinity Kappas and a JL12W3v2 4ohm. How would you wire the 5X7's, I understand how you would wire the sub but I'm lost when it comes to the 5x7's.
Also, the amp has a 85hz low pass fitler, would you suggest a subsonic filter? I checked past post but I'm still confused. Thanks
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Which model Infinity 5X7 do you have?  The reference or the Kappa with external crossover?

In general, a subsonic filter can help protect your sub from unwanted DC voltages and can help the amp perform better at low frequencies, but it is not necessary.

charlie101_1999 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
They are the Kappa's w/crossovers.
It isn't necessary, but would you recomend one? Thanks again.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

The Kappas are 4-ohm speakers.  You connect the amp to the crossover, and the two outputs from the crossover go to the woofer input and the tweeter input on the 5X7.  They use different sized connectors, so you can't easily hook them up wrong.  Your amp is rated at 35 watts X 4 into 4-ohms, so I would recomend wiring your sub for 8-ohms.  The MTX sub channel will put out about 75 watts into 8 ohms, which will blend nicely with the 5X7s at 35 watts.  Unless you want overpowering bass, then wire it for 2 ohms and be prepared to not hear the 5X7's.  :)

A subsonic filter is a high-pass crossover usually set below the range of human hearing (less than 18 Hz.) Your amp does not have one built in, so you will have to either buy an external one, build one, or buy a crossover with one built in.  Yes, if you can afford one, I recomend one.  I run one set to 5 Hz.

charlie101_1999 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have any suggestions on any 2ohm 5X7's?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have never seen a 5x7 that is 2 ohm. The only easy way you could get a 2 ohm load out of you amp is to wire 2 speakers to the left front or rear channel and two to the other front or rear channel. Wiring it this way would give you just as much power as wiring one to each channel, but you won't be able to fade and the amp will have a lower damping factor with a 2 ohm load so it wont sound as good.
DYohn 
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Ditto to customsuburb.  No 2-ohm 5X7s that I know.  Wiring two sets to one channel to force the amp to operate at it's 2-ohm rating is not a smart thing to do and will actually gain you nothing.  In terms of sound quality, it will only hurt.  The Infinity Kappas are good sounding speakers and will operate fine with the 35 watts from this amp, but if you want to push more watts, you'll need a bigger amp.
charlie101_1999 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
I guess my question is, what would one do with a 5 channel amp. I thought it was for running front, rear and a sub.
DYohn 
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

Thatr's exactly what it is for, and it will do a fine job at that.... You have it correct.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed, a 5 channel amp is a dream to work with and can perform beyond most peoples expectations.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic