icon

wiring 2 amps and a cap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tpro2000 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

im new at installs, and know pretty much how to install 2 amps, running all the wires etc, but then my buddy said to be safe (he's an installer) to add a cap.

my question how exactly does it wire in? from the bat to the cap to the amp, or another way, i dont really have any idea and havent find a good answer to what im looking for

any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Durango9 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
You would wire the cap in line with the power wire to the amps. If your using a distribution block then you would wire it in line with the main wire feeding the block.
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

? why do you feel you need a cap?

what size are the amps?

You place the cap inline (parrell) with the amps.....I think that the closer the better if you ask me.....

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
tpro2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

truth is i dont know much about them, but i know my car doesnt have the strongest alternator, and he has an older model, so i was just going along with what he said (and he gets no money out of it, so i didnt think he was telling me wrong)

one amp is a 60w x 4 (max power 960 watts), and the other is 150w x 2

so it would go from the dist to the cap to the amps (am i reading this right?)? 

bare with me, lol, like i said, everything else is ok, thats the new thing for me

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

well thats not alot of power....demand if you ask me....my current amp I have 1500watt amp and its in a honda civic and well anyhow after having a cap on the amp and not....I did not notice a difference at all....like you will more than likely hear from others posting on your thread a cap is going to create a larger load for you alternator....but if you do get a cap make sure that its is about a 1.5farad cap....(1 farad for every 1k watts)

as far as placing the cap in before or after the dist. blk. I would see what the others think......

Mine cap was placed right before the amp I felt that was the best place...4me wiring 2 amps and a cap -- posted image.

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
tpro2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  

thanks clean install for your info!  yeah, im not sure if it's going to be worth it.  maybe safer if i plan to upgrade subs in the future, who knows.

what does everyone else think?

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
imo if you know you have a weak alt. i wouldnt put a cap on until after i had upgraded the alt.
Quad L Handyman services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic