icon

Glass, Plexiglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
biznisman2u 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
what type of glass (is it plexiglass) that most installers use in there cars. for visibility threw material and lights and stuff........to build a fishtank would anyone use plexiglass. and how can you curve glass to fit and mold weird custom shapes.... (what tools should i use) and how should i go about getting the pieces to mold together at the ends. should i use superglue to get the ends to stick together and use (what type of sealant?) to keep the water from leaking???  any information would help
Biznisman2u
sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
yep, its plexiglass.  if youre trying to build a fish tank, id suggest you get some really good glue.  not superglue.  i mean strong silicone based glue to bond it plus seal it.  as for the glass, id say at least 3/8" thick plexiglass.  for shaping it youll need a heat gun and just slowly bend it as it gets softer.  dont overheat it tho.  personally, i wouldnt recommend building your own tank unless youve researched it alot.  plus, for the price youd be in it for it would probably be cheaper to buy a new one professionally made.  altho it would be a fun experiment.  if your going to do this, id say search the net for plexiglass, waterproof sealant and glue, and also search for fishtank sites or diy plexiglass project tutorials.  good luck.
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2004 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
I believe its E6000 or E9000 that is made in a clear sealant that can be used. There are a few other products also available for attaching pieces of plexi together. I stated in other posts Select Products is pricy with the things they sell, however, they do have products available for doing these type of things. Check with them to see what they suggest as well.
www.selectproducts.com
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

a nice tool for this type of job is a strip heater... it heats a line in the plex allowing you to do perfect straing bends.... pricy but VERY handy

robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Two things to make sure of when doing this is (1) Make absolutley sure that the adhisive and sealant you use will not leak anything into the fishes water. You don't want every fish you put in there to die within a few days because of chemicals in the water. (2) Make sure you can seal the tank completely. You don't want to have to slam on the brakes and through water all over the place.  I would check with some local pet shops or websites to find out what the best silicone to use is. Good luck. I'd like to see pics up here if it all works out!
if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
Glass, Plexiglass -- posted image.
biznisman2u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

i'm not going to get any one hopes up on no pictures, i dont think we will be seeing any of those soon but. when i do i will remember to put some up. Where can i find a strip heater and some one told me that there is no way to bend plexiglass, was i using the wrong type of plexiglass that looks a lot like glass and has no flex to it at all?

Biznisman2u
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
WAIT. Are you putting this in your car or house? Please say car.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
biznisman2u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
why would you think i would be building this for my house? yes its for my car. I'm curious what would make you think that
Biznisman2u
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
You never said it was for your car and i wouldnt put one in my car so i was wondering.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
biznisman2u 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
oh okay. i was just wondering how to bend the plexiglass, and i use a fish tank as a visual example.... I dont think i would be putting no fish tank in my car soon. I do wont to get an air pump and water pump and have a little water fall, like them little $20 gift items with it build inside
Biznisman2u
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic