icon

tweeters popping

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2004 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Try turning the bass control down all the way on the headunit. If the popping goes away it will likely be that too much low frequency signal is being sent to the tweeters. Even with their proper crossover in place yu can still overdrive speakers. Crossovers don't completely eliminate the undersirable frequencies, but do gradually decrease their output depending on the type and order of crossover. A higher order crossover (2nd order or 3rd order) filter off frequencies quicker than just a 1st order (non-polarized capacitor) does. If this doesn't help the problem may be a result of induced noise from vehicle harnesses or components into the RCA or speaker leads. The other likely problem is that the amplifier is clipping (being overdriven). Tweeters are the first to alert you to this. They are also the first to blow up as a result because they can't take any abuse.
sparky
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
still don't have the crossovers in... i lowered the gain on my amp and PRESTO, works perfectly. No popping, does sound a little in youre face, but i'm just getting started , i havent even installed the crossover, but i am listening to them very closely becasue i dont want to blow them anytime soon, but dont worry im running the stock crossover for now
everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
tweeters popping - Page 2 -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

You are operating a set of tweeters without a crossover?  I hope you like buying tweeters. 

Also, if you "lowered the gain and presto it works" then you did not have the gain set properly in the first place.  I suggest you turn that gain all the way down and set it up properly, and install the proper crossovers for those tweeters before you go another minute with your system on.  Unless, of course, you have money to burn.

Support the12volt.com
hammondc 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
whats the process for setting gain??
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
There are many ways to do it, but in general the input gain on teh amplifier must be set to match the output voltage of the head unit (or whatever is driving it.)  Start here: http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm
Support the12volt.com
hammondc 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
that is like greek to me.tweeters popping - Page 2 -- posted image.  is there a simplified way?
DYohn 
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

Simplified gain setting:

1.  Turn off your system.  Make sure all your connections and power/ground are good.  Get some hearing protection on (like earplugs)

2.  Set all amplifier gains to minimum setting.

3.  Turn on your system.

4.  SLOWLY turn your volume control on your head unit up until you begin to hear a distorted sound.  This usually happens around 75% to 80% volume.  (NOTE:  if you get to the MAX and you do not hear any distortion, you either have a very good head unit or you do not know what distortion sounds like.  If this happens, go to a professional car stereo shop for help.)

5.  Turn the volume back down until the distortion goes away and the sound is clear.  This is the MAXIMUM SAFE VOLUME on your head unit.  Leave it here.  Remember the setting and never go higher than this.

6.  Slowly increase the gain on your amp until the distortion returns.  Back it off until it is gone.  THIS IS THE PROPER gain setting for your head unit's maximum volume.  Leave it here.

7.  Lower the volume on your head to normal listening levels and enjoy.  Oh yea, and you can remove your earplugs.

Support the12volt.com
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

well i do have a crossover but its the factory one not the jl audio one, and im running the volume very low

everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
tweeters popping - Page 2 -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
DYohn 
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

mobile E wrote:
well i do have a crossover but its the factory one not the jl audio one, and im running the volume very low

Don't do this.  The manufacturer supplies a crossover designed specificly for these tweeters.  A different crossover (ESPECIALLY OEM capacitor crossovers that came in the car!) is not sufficient unless it was specifically designed for those tweeters.  You will blow your tweeters.  If you don't care about this, then so be it, but don't say you were not warned!

Also, running your volume very low does not mean the amplifier gain is set properly.  Indeed, you cold still be clipping.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic