icon

something louder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
polluted24 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

i currently have 4 entry level audiobahn 12" subs runnin off a 2400 watt audiobahn amp... but i want something louder.. while still keeping good SQ...

would you guys prefer a 15" kicker L5, a 15" Aluminum Eclipse, or a pair of 15"pair of Xtant a1540 

Ill get a same brand amp for which sub(s) i get...but i just want some of the pro's opinions first

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
You are not going to get much SQ out of a 15" sub (especially not a Kicker L5). If you want SQ but still like it loud try listening to a pair of Eclipse alluminum 12s and see if you like them.
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  

i used to sell eclipse and holy sh1t they slam, go with eclipse, you could even do the dvc 10's with 1000 watts and probably out knock anyone around.  and they sound great, awesome clarity.  the 15's have the same cone reflex as an 8" meaning that they also hit the high punchy bass as well as the deep deep lows.   eclipse is the way to go.  or if you want to get really stupid get 2 12" aluminums and put them in a ported box tuned to 25Hz, you'll probably hurt your self with that.  hope this helps

oh yeah, whatever you end up getting, put them in a ported box and tune it between 25-29, this will slam, it's mainly set up for street beat so it will be very very very loud to the ear but it won't be great on the meter if you plan on competing

what!?!?! you want some??
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse eh.....hmmmmm.something louder? -- posted image. Never heard of it.....something louder? -- posted image.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
polluted24 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

Ok i think im gona go with the 2 10" aluminum cones...

would a Eclipse 34230 be enough to do them justice?

its rated at 370x2 @ 4 ohms

I wanted to keep the same brand of amp/subs.. but if that amps not big enough i'll prolly get an orion 1200D amp with the 4ohm DVC subs... it'l give me 1200x1 @ 1 ohm

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Do not go with that amp, it is not a flexible amplifier for this scenario. You would also be way better off with a pair of the aluminum 12's in a 1.25 cu.ft. sealed enclosure. The subs you want are model # SW8122.4 and match them to amplifier model# DA7122. This would be your best bet for some damn fine sq and a spl level that should play in the high 130db to low 140db range.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
How loud do you think 2 12" alluminums would be in a ported enclosure built to spec with the same setup as mentioned above?
forbidden 
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Keep the subs to a sealed encosure, your first post was "while keeping good sq" these subs, driven propely in the proper sealed box are capabale of delivering output to the mid 140 db range, that is well into permanent hearing damage territory. These subs are expressly designed to play in a small sealed enclosure but can be made to work in a huge and not recommended ported enclosure. I do not recommend the ported enclosure at all for these subs unless it is a pure spl system.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
I gotta agree with Forbidden... I use a single Ti 9122 with the DA7122 amp, (I tried the 34230 first, and was disappointed... and that was on the Ti 10! Those drivers need much power, grasshopper!) and I can tell you from experience that the bass from the Eclipses long excursion drivers is AMAZING! That amp is a kick BUTT peice of gear as well... (it is NOT bridgeable, tho!) If you really want SQ, then the eclipse will do you well, as well as being as loud as anything out there! They do not do well in vented boxes, and you can use a small sealed enclosure. I got mine in one cube, (net) and stuffed with about 10 ounces of polyester fill. The deep bass from this driver is as good, fast and tight as anything I have ever heard. A single Ti driver with that amp will cost a little more than two aluminums, but I can GUARANTEE you won't blow it! (and I have tried something louder? -- posted image. ) Make certain you GLUE AND SCREW (with pilot holes) all of the sides, and HEAVY BRACING, to the point of your thinking it may be too much, is very much in order. That driver will take inferior enclosures apart!
2001 Honda Civic LX
Eclipse 8051 E8 deck
Eclipse 3122 driving Infinity emit Kappa tweeters 80w X 2
Eclipse 32440 driving Eclipse 89940 Point source 6X9's 120w X 4, bi-wired, bi-amped
Eclipse 34230 driving Morel MW-162 6" midbass in doors 370w X 2
Eclipse DA7122 driving Eclipse SW9122 12" Titanium sub 1350w X 2
RedTop Optima 12v under the hood
2 RedTop Optima 6v in trunk, one each side wired in series
2 Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad caps on custom hand built power bars
Alterstart 165 Amp alternator with Datel 150A Current Shunt and blue LED meter for monitoring current output
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
so ummm, maybe just build a single layer 3/4" mdf box with a doubled up front face, then do some bracing. then put another 3/4" panel on each side? think that would be strong enough?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic