icon

Keyless entry in an 00 Alero

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pike 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Hello this is my first post to this forum so go easy on me :)
I have a pretty good amount of experience installing alarms/stereos/remote start etc.. but this vehicle (a 2000 Olds Alero) is the newest I've ever attempted to install a keyless entry system with.
Here is what I got: a Crime Guard REC-11 Keyless Entry and Crutchfield also suggested I use a Crime Guard DB-DLM-3 databus interface.
Here is my problem: I have hooked all the wires, relays, etc. Everything works except for the power door locks! The parking lights flash, the dome light is supervised, the trunk release works, the starter kill works, etc. but no power door locks.
This particular system is supposed to be a "one-wire" connection between the databus interface and the pin #2 on the OBD-II connector. I have checked, double checked and even triple checked all wiring connections. I have spoken to 4 different tech support guys at crutchfield. I have also spoken to Omega Research, the mfgr of the keyless entry unit and it is still not working.
Does anyone have any experience with these units? I am thinking about just returning the databus interface and just hooking the power door locks up the old fashioned way. As I have said, I am not too familiar with these computer controlled systems in the newer cars. Your site calls this system a 5-wire postive but my install manual doesn't make any mention of that type.
Any help is much appreciated as I am at wits end with this. I have gone this far and I'd hate to have to tear everything apart and start over with a different brand.
-Mike
laren5 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  

According to the info I have:

It should be a white wire in the drivers kick panel.     This white wire controls the powerlock for lock and unlock.       If you add ground (negative trigger)  to this wire it should lock the doors.    If you add ground through a resistor (1,500 ohm) to this same white wire it would unlock the doors.     Make sure that you use relay in order to get a good negative trigger.   

You can also use a databus interface, but I cannot help you with that one.    I am not so familiar with databus either

Greetings 

Clifford Alarms
pike 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your reply.
Well, there's lots of wires in the driver's kick panel :). Do you have any more specific info or wiring diagrams? I was thinking more along the lines of hooking into the relays. I can see both the unlock and lock relays in the driver's side fuseblock.
thanks
-Mike
derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

get the white wire in the driver side fuse box. behind the side panel of the dash.

there will be 2 taped up harnesses going the fuse box.

there are a few whites there, so test first.

pike 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a bunch guys!
The white wire + resistor + relays did the trick perfectly! I am going to return that useless databus interface and get my $40 back.
Only problem I (had?) is with the vehicle's factory automatic locking system interferring with the alarm module's. When I would put the vehicle in gear the doors would lock and then unlock right away.. :) I think I have that sorted out; I disable the alarm module's feature. If it doesn't work I'll be back tomorrow.
thanks again
-Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic