icon

Good 12’s for SQ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry to post twice in a row, but I'm looking to buy a single 12 for my G-friend to put in her 94 Probe GT (hatch).  I'm thinkin' something w/ approx. 400 rms and 600 watt peak power handling.  I'm thinkin' either duel 2 ohm VC or single 4 ohm VC-she has a 2-ohm stereo stable amp.  I'm thinkin 100-130$ price range.  i want a nice balance between SQ and SPL.  Give me some input guys!!
TAudio 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
Coustic CF series all the way! What does CF stand for, Carbon Fiber! Thats right they have molded carbon fiber cones. The CF124 SVC has 1 4 ohm coil and the CF1244 DVC has two 4 ohm coils. Both handle 400 watts RMS and 800 peak. I have one of the SVC models in a 1.7 cu. ft sealed box and it is clear as a bell and still pounds (even as little as 1.2 cu. ft. still sounds great).
Check the out at: www.coustic.com
You should be able to pick one up for around $130 if you look around. Shoot if you can't find one comercialy I'll sell you my extra one (Brand new still in box) for $130.
If quiters never win, and winners never quit, who the heck came up with the idea that you should quit while your ahead?
jpranwez 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
I think you'd want the dual 4 ohm if her amp is 2 ohm stable. A duel 2 ohm means it runs at 1 or 4 ohms and single 4 ohms obviously only at 4 ohms.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely go with an  Infinity Kappa 12" sub. This sub will sound much better then a coustic sub.
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

ok guys, you are forgetting the all important  Adire Shiva! its right in the price range he named at $125,  and apparently it is the shizzle! i have already ordered mine, it is in the mail and should be here for the box i made for it soon.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Whatever sub you choose, it should be a single voice coil 4 ohm driver. Very few amp that are stable to 2 ohm stereo are stable at 2 ohm mono. Consider  the Lightning Audio Strike series of subs. S3.12.4 in the recommended small sealed box. Deep bass, muti tone output, great sq and priced very reasonably.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
I seconded the Shiva!
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

You've got your figures right on that SVC 4 ohm issue.  I'm presuming the amp is 2 ohm stable stereo, which is how they're advertised.  That is equivalent to 4 ohm bridged mono. So, if you were to go to a DVC 4 ohm, you'd be stuck with an 8 ohm woofer.

This Soundstream Exact caught my eye http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-670.  A 1.25 sealed box wouldn't take all the room up in the hatch.

alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Has anyone heard the Alpine Type R or Typr S series ?  A local retailer recommended either model when  I asked him the same question.  The S series is 120$ and looked pretty tight.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
The alpine Type S and R are both good subs. If you were going to consider a type R then I would also look at an Infinity Perfect. These are good sq subs also.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic