icon

tweeter noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csq33r 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

My MTX tweeters just started making a clicking sound.  They only do it with the engine running and stereo on.  They even do it when I remove them from their dash mounting brackets and hold them in my hand  - so I guess that rules out vibration from the car.   The car is an old Lotus with all new stereo wiring with good grounds.   They are wired right into my head unit with the crossover they came with.  I even tried running one off of the amp, but it still does it.   I recently put in a better ignition system and the clicking started around this time.  I've looked at all of the ignition wiring and can't find anything that would be interfering with the stereo.  Is there anything else I can do?  I don't want to buy new tweeters and have new ones do the same thing.  Is there an inline filter of some sort?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ray

Esprit907
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
This is definately being caused by your ignition system.  Probably a defective spark plug wire or spark plug boot (the rubber cap.)  Or, it could be high frequency coming off your coil.  Start by making sure the engine ground strap is not corroded.  Replace the coil-to-distributor wire.  Make sure your distributor cap is not cracked.  Take your car to a dark area at night and open the hood while the engine is running (kill any engine compartment light you may have) and see if tthere are little sparks or glows somewhere in the engine along the wiring.  There are filters you can try, but see if you can locate the source first.
Support the12volt.com
csq33r 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your help.  I added a ground strap from the engine to the frame and put on some wire separators to keep the ignition wires away from each other and the engine, and the clicking is gone!tweeter noise - Last Post -- posted image.  Thanks again.

Ray

Esprit907
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
Great!  This can be one of the hardest problems to solve, so I'm happy it was something straight forward in your Lotus.  Happy motoring!
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic