icon

rain/moisture sensor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
does anyone make a sensor that detects rain/moisture that you could use to trigger a sunroof module or window module to roll up when it detects rain? I've been installing for quite some time, and ive never seen such a sensor, and think it would be a good idea.
just curious-
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
No idea here but it would be cool.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2004 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
eyeballs
MECP certified installer
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
You could try to use a radar sensor, maybe if the sensitivity was turned up, it would detect rain.
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, but the prox sensor would have to be so sensitive it would always be going off. I was also thinking of builiding a timer circuit that would automatically shut/roll the windows up after a certain amount of time after the ignition has been shut off. so lets say an hour after the car has been shut off the windows or sunroof would automatically be closed. and also install a switch to bypass the timer so you could leave the windows/sunroof open if needed.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
What I meant to say was... Wire up the radar sensor ONLY to the window/sunroof closure circuit/modules. That way, it wouldnt even be set to trigger the alarm. But if the radar sensor detected movement or rain inside the vehicle, it would trigger the windows and sunroof to close. Another option: since you mentioned a timer circuit. I've seen remote start timers on diff websites. What they bsaically are is a lil dash mounted timer box where you punch in a certain time you want you vehicle to automatically start, for instance you can have it set to start your car at 7AM every morning while yer getting ready for work. But the only drawback about this is, that youd have to remember to set it each and every time you get out and want the windows to close an hour later.   Another suggestion would be to search the net for some type of timer that you could wire to the ignition, and about an hour after you shut off the ignition it could give out a negative pulse to trigger your window/sunroof circuit. I know PAC makes pulse generators and timers and stuff like that, but not totally sure if you could set it to trigger an hour later. Try looking at a PAC tr-7. http://www.pac-audio.com/products/alarm.htm Do your homework, I'm sure you can end up figuring a way to get it to close how you want it!
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
you may be able to provide an ocsillating signal to a metal surface of the vehicle and measure any dampening that rain may cause... radar might be easier
Falcon 1 
Copper - Posts: 130
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
They use rain sensors on automatic lawn sprinklers which operate on low voltage maybe you could look into that?
Do it right the first time, only a doctor can bury his mistakes.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
why not just look at GM's rain sensor circuit?   i'm sure you could order the module itself it it will do what you want it to....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic