icon

what size port?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aem7506 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

ok im going to use to 12" rockford fosgate HE svc 8ohm speakers. i want to put them in a slot ported box. i got room for a 36 x 14 x 24. question is can some one calculate me a slot port for that. im just gettin new to the hole porteed thing and i wnat to gve it a try and i heard ported is my best bet. also can i get some help on placement were to put the port thanks

<<98 Mercury Mountaineer>>
"Sound"
Pioneer DEH7300
Pioneer 5/7 (4)
12'Kicker compvr (2)
900 Rockford Fosgate Amp (2)
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

if i was you i would do to seperate chambers and do a round port in each one measuring 3" x 8", that would tune it to around 26Hz which is very  very loud.  place the ports in the front bottom corners of the box. this is a set up for street beat, the lower you tune it the louder it sounds. it won't do great on the meter but it'll sound loud as fu@k.

i assume the measurements you gave were outside dimensions and you are going to use 3/4" MDF which gives you an total internal volume of 5.6ft3 and 2.8ft3 per sub. 

what!?!?! you want some??
aem7506 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

well i was planning on seperating them anyway but u really think tube is better than slot ive heard slot is the best.........

"Sound"
Pioneer DEH7300
Pioneer 5/7 (4)
12'Kicker compvr (2)
cmh 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
Kickerstang is right... almost , a port is a port as long as it is tuned properly. Go out surfing and download a free version ou WIN ISP it is a box building program in which you can actually see what any woofer/box combo will sound like. It also does all the calcs for you, even port tuning of "slotted" or round ports. And as for tuning it lower to be louder, that really depends on the driver, using winisp you can see a defined PEAK at or just after the tuning frequency of the port and about 3-6 DB roll off at frequencies above that, bue 12 - 19 db roll off before that. Also www.partsexpress.com has really nice flared round ports of all sizes for less than 3$ each and they are professional looking. Just keep in mind the 3 inch rule... Ports must be at least 3 inches from any side of the box or woofer. This will reduce standing internal waves and cancelation. Also a port can be placed on any side of the box you want as long as it is not obstructed by a wall in the car, apply that 3 inch rule to the outside as well.
cmh 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
PS-
take it from me I built a 1.8ft3 2 chamber box for my 2 12" volfenhag zx-4712dxv subs. I ported it to tune at 45hz (ports on the sides) and I can get 100 average DB in the cab. I peaked out at 119db at 48hz (I got less DB above and below the tuning Fz) with all configured to 1 4ohm load with 1000 watts. My moral is that I origionally put them in a box (the same box) with a tuned port of 25HZ and couldn't break 88-94 DB. So it is woofer theil small parimeters and a good box building calculator that will give you the most out of each spacific driver.
kickerstang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

i did a 147 with to kicker comp vr 10's in a box tuned to 36Hz. i've never heard of anyone tuning a box that high except big time SPL competitors and they usually tune around 52-55 but that's just to burp it.  for a stereo that you drive around and listen to you would have no low bass it would all be high tight punchy bass

pspadotto 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

Go out surfing and download a free version ou WIN ISP it is a box building program in which you can actually see what any woofer/box combo will sound like.

I did a quick google search for win isp...couldn't find it.  Anyone have a link to where to download it?

pspadotto 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry, my previous post should have looked like this:

pspadotto wrote:

Go out surfing and download a free version ou WIN ISP it is a box building program in which you can actually see what any woofer/box combo will sound like.

I did a quick google search for win isp...couldn't find it.  Anyone have a link to where to download it?

aem7506 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

well all these nubers and i sti aint got a clue whati should do should i use the 3 x 8 port that will tune ti at 26 hz

"Sound"
Pioneer DEH7300
Pioneer 5/7 (4)
12'Kicker compvr (2)
kickerstang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  

yeah, that will bang it a$$ off, you'll be turning heads everywhere, everyone will think you've got two 15's or more back there

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic