icon

Calculating Cu. Ft. in a glass enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
team_outkast 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Can anyone help me on what to use to calculate this???i mean i can get close but im a perfectionist and i like my music to be tuned to the proper hertz,is this possible or close to possible in some way..((especialy in a all glass mold??))thanks for any help regarding this......Team_Outkast
Team_Outkast
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

i cant help with all glass but i do know one trick.   For a tire well enclosure, put four garbage bags inside each other, then fill with water till it fills to the top of the tire well....... then just use a measuring cup and count your scoops.  You can then convert that to Cu. Ft.     If you are building with the spare tire in the trunk,  Take that tire and push it into a large bucket, situated in a wading pool.   Then get you measuring cup out again......

For the all glass..... if it is ALL glass, it should be airtight.  Fill it with water and count scoops.  BTW: not recommended with MDF!!   It's like a sponge

sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
no dont use water.  thats just a pita.  go get some packing peanuts, bean bag beans, or anything similar and pour it into the enclosure until you fill it to the top.  then get yourself a 12x12x12 box and see how much you fill it by pouring the peanuts from the enclosure into the measuring box.  you can use any box really tho, as long as you have marks where 1 cu ft is.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
If you can get anything smaller than packing peanuts that would get a more accurate volume. but either will work
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
If you can get anything smaller than packing peanuts that would get a more accurate volume. but either will work
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
i would recommend sand personally, it much finer and you can get very very accurate, and use something like a small box or bucket  that you know the exact airspace inside, don't use a 12 x 12 x 12 box because what if your enclosure is not exactly to the cubic ft. what if it's like 3.3ft3  if you use a 12 x 12 x 12 box your final measurement will have you guessing somewhere inbetween one cubic foot and the next. use something smaller so you can get a more accurate measurement
what!?!?! you want some??
sam1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

i just suggested the 12x12x12 box because thats the easiest.  just take out a cuft at a time, then with the last one make a mark and measure how far from the bottom it is in inches.  then just divide that by 12 and youve got youre decimal.  i also suggested the bean bag beans because they are the easiest to clean up and they are relatively small.  sand would be more precise, but not enough of a difference to matter imo. 

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  

Calculating Cu. Ft. in a glass enclosure -- posted image.  i still like water....

sam1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

water would actually be the most accurate.  just dont spill=)

dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
water will be more accurate if you don't spill any, sand will be accurate, but will be a pain to get all of it out, bean bag bean, or even dried peas will get an accurate reading but be easy to get out and handle
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic