icon

12DVC and Amp Recommendation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kevinbo5 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking to step up a few notches in the sub/amp area. I have a great deck and components still new in the box. I want a sub/amp combo to complement my new purchase.
(I am also adding a 50 to 75W x 4 amp for the interior speakers)
I'm looking at 12" Dual Voice Coil (DVC)subs that rate between 400W and 700W RMS.
My budget limits me to 2 channel amps with RMS ratings of 150 to 200W x 2 @ 4ohms, 300 to 400W x 2 @ 2ohms and 600 to 800W x 1 @ 4ohms.
How would you recommend connecting one of these amps to a DVC sub? By this, I mean a fairly detailed answer. Ohm loads and what-not don't scare me. I am looking for the best combo out there.
Do 2 channel amps and DVC subs "play nice" together? Should I just pony up the extra money for a Class D mono sub?
Also, I am only using one 12" sub in my trunk.
Thanks!
bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
in general 2 channel amps and DVC subs can work together, but not to the full effeciency of the amp. I would get a SVC sub, or a class D amp. instead of knowing how many watts you can afford, can we know how much money you have to spend? it would be easier to figure things out that way. also, what kind of music do you listen to? what kind of car? do you want it to be more loud, or sound good?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

Try this on for size, it has great sq and is not to hard on the pocket book (well maybe the sub is).

Eclipse SW8122DVC - 500w rms and dual 4 ohm coils

Concept CA525  - 525 w rms @ 2 ohm mono

This is a great match that I do quite a bit of work with. The sub will take a sealed box of 1.25 cu.ft. Nice and small but big on sq and depth. For the amp it is a dedicated mono subamp that is a class AB design. A mono sub amp does not necessarily have to be class D in design. Should you want more power then you can upgrade to the CD1210 - a 1210 wrms @ 1 ohm mono class D sub amp, enough to drive 2 12" dvc 4 ohm subs.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kevinbo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks bfog99.
Money to spend: about $250 - I've looked at a few things on eBay. Is this wise? I know about the voided warranty, but otherwise is this a bad idea?
Music: Rock - I change it to the local hip-hop channel every now and again to hear "real" bass. (though Korn and Mudvayne have some deep notes now and again)
Car: 98 Chevy Prizm. Small car, probably not worth putting a lot of money into, but it looks like I'm going to have it for a while. I just bought it with only 30,000 miles. Gotta love little old ladies and their short commutes
I'm more into sound quality. I know it will be a small sealed box whatever I get. But loud is good too.
Thanks for the recommendations forbidden. I'll be looking at these as soon as I get a chance.
I must admit I would like the amps and sub to be the same name brand. I want to build a nice looking box with a rack for the dist. block and amps. I have been looking at Audiobahn, Memphis Audio, Planet Audio and Rockford Fosgate.
Thanks again.
bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
250 isn't a lot to play with. one sub that i personally like is the infinity reference series. it is a good clean sub that isn't very expensive. it is definately more of a SQ sub. another sub you might want to look into is the JL Audio 12w0. around $100 as well. an amp that would match it well in a rockford fosgate power 5001db. as far as buying off ebay. you can get some good deals, but you can get burned too. as long as you are willing to give up any chance of help from the manufacturer if something goes wrong and willing to accept the possibility of getting junk instead of what you ordered, go ahead. I have bought stuff off there and it was exactly what it was supposed to be in good working order. but i know that some people have had problems. one thing you might want to do is save up a little longer so that you have more of a budget to work with, but you can get decent stuff with what you want to spend. oh and another thing, i personally would stay away from audiobahn. see this as an explaination: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=29051&KW=audiobahn
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
the infinity kappa perfect series is also a wonderful sub. also the alpine R series, but most "good" subs now adays cost almost $150 so $250 definately isnt' much to play around with as far as setups.
Quad L Handyman services
kevinbo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Ouch! I heard some grumbling about Audiobahn, but thought it shouldn't affect me b/c I'm not trying to blow the windows out...
The 501BD looks nice. And it's on eBay for around $220.00!
Any opinions on the other brands I mentioned?
kevinbo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, the $250 is just for the amp... I'm mainly looking at eBay, though I have a connection at a local shop that carries Memphis Audio and Planet Audio.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
how much do you have for a sub or subs then?
Quad L Handyman services
kevinbo5 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
Amount on sub will be $200 to $250, though I have seen some "last year" models on sale for $150 or less. This seems to be the average for 400W to 700W 12" subs. (Crutchfield and Sounddomain.com)
I'll only be using one to have trunk room. Most of these subs' recommended (minimum) Sealed Specs are around the .75 to 1.0 cu/ft mark, which is around the size box I want.
I've got to say "Thanks" for all of the replies. This site and forum are a great help in deciding how to go about making sure I will need a hearing aid by the time I'm 30.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic