the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Any alarms w/ just accessories channels?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JhnBrackett 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
I know I can spend a hundred or so to get an alarm with remote keyless entry, remote start, and a few extra channels, yada yada. But all I need is 2 channels for the door solenoids, and 1 for the power window (w/ relay). It'd be nice if the reciever unit had an alarm built in, but not needed. All the ebay stuff has is 3/4 button keyless entry, power trunk, and remote start units. Should/could I just get one of these, install solenoids, and hook up their power trunk to the power windows?
Ch 1. would be for solenoid #1
Ch 2. would be for solenoid #2 (reversed polarity)
Ch 3. would be for the power windows, though I think I could only put them down this way.
What's wrong with this way of thinking? And what happens when the polarity gets reversed on the solenoids, when ya first press the button the actuator pulls, when ya do the opposite it pushes. What happens with a solenoid that only does 1 way? Would I need a diode to keep it from flowing back?
derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

Get a Keyless entry module.  reffered to as a "KE" round these parts.

L and UL will work off one button, and they usually have a trunk a button ( that can work the windows).

If it has a starter kill, you can use that to determine the direction of the windows ( ie when the doors are locked ... and the SK is armed.... the windows go UP when you press trunk)

Are you adding the solenoids, for the locks , or are they OEM ?... this will affect the way you wire the relays.

JhnBrackett 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

I won't have locks period, I am adding solenoids.  This is for my hotrod.  So I'll have bear claw latches attached to solenoids, and power windows hooked up to a switch and module (gotta find one though).  How would I wire up the KE for use w/ solenoids.  So that I can press one button, open one door, and the same button or the 2nd button to open the other door?  I'm under the impression that the first time you press an unlock button, it flows one way, then the 2nd time, it reverses the polarity.  Thanks for taking the time to help me.

http://www.eccentrix.com/members/jhnbrackett/Bub.html

Robdude30 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
Check out www.smarthome.com and search around for their keychain remote control unit. It is made by DEI and has, I believe, 6 outputs. It is marketed for home use, but is actually made for an automobile and accepts 12 VDC for it's power supply. It would be perfect for what you need.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
I've done a setup like yours on a 1970 Cutlass hotrod. I wired door pop soleniods in the doors, remote control window up, and window down, and trunk pop. I accompished this with a viper 800esp alarm system. It has 7 channels, six of which are aux outputs. The remotes had 4 buttons. Button 1 armed and disarmed the security system (and also locks and unlocks the doors, but I didnt wire up the keyless entry because there is no point in doorlocks with shaved handles). Button two popped the trunk, 3 popped open the drivers door, and button 4 popped open the passenger door. Hold down buttons one and two at the same time and the windows rolled up. Hold down buttons 3 and 4 at the same time and the windows rolled down. My advice to you would be to do yours exactly like this, to accomplish this you'll need a viper 800esp, a viper 530t window module, and a relay for each door (the 800esp has a built in relay for the trunk pop). The 530t will simplify wiring up your power windows too. Its not just a window module, it actually automates the windows, to hook it up, you basically rewire the window motors to the module and connect the switches to the module. The module is what powers the windows at all times, whether a switch triggered the module to roll them up, or if the alarm triggered them. So this will also help you out a lot with your power window wiring on your hotrod, just wire the motors to the 530t, and wire up some switches to triggerthe 530t. Or another option, you can have them ONLY roll up with your remote and have no switches on your doors if you prefer a cleaner look.
bxscig 
Copper - Posts: 41
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

I want to look for the same thing.  I already have an alarm installed but I was wondering if there is a way to add another remote just to control the windows up and down.  I assume I would need to get another reciever unit.  Which one do you guys suggest?

Thank you.

JhnBrackett 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
The viper 800esp looks like it'd cost around $110 itself, but you can get the Spal 7 Channel Shaved Door Kit for about $80 off eBay. If you went the Viper 800esp you'd still need to get the solenoids and then make your own wiring. I think if you go with just the Spal unit, all you'd need is the power window relay module thingy madgiger which is usually around $10-15.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
I'd go with the DEI power window module. the 530t That is, if you are looking to control both up AND down. Otherwise you can get one of them cheap bulldog or omega ones for about 20 bucks, but those only control one direction, either up or down. I've seen the dei 530t window module for about 50 bucks on ebay, not too bad. especially considering you'd need 2 of the cheaper modules to do what the 530t does, and two of those would cost you about 40 bucks or so. I'd just pay a few extra bucks and go with the 530t.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  

Keyless entries may or may not have large enough relays or large enough amperage outputs to wire directly to your door solenoids. If they don’t then the small amperage signal off of the keyless entry can be wired to external relays to handle your solenoids. Most outputs on the main control units can be changed from positive to negative outputs and external relays can be wired to switch voltages or grounds.

Solenoids for unlatching the doors so they open only pull one way and only need to be wired as a single action and not wired in a reverse polarity wiring.

Here’s some ways to do some wiring (3 button remote control): Use the door lock output to send a signal to a window module for roll up. Use the door unlock output to send a signal to a window module for window roll down. Use a second channel output for the driver’s door. Use a third channel output for the passenger door.

The biggest thing I’ve found out with Hot Rods or wiring in general is to run an added ground wire from the solenoid in the door to the interior of the vehicle if it is a self grounding type. Do not rely on the door as a good chassis ground.

If you are running the door jamb contact buttons, make sure they can handle the current needed so they do not create a voltage drop (if one contact can only handle 10 amps and you need to run 15 amps for something double up the contacts so now the two contacts can handle 20 amps total). If you can run wires from the door solenoids and window motors directly to the control units for them and try to steer away from the contact buttons for less voltage drop and it will also allow you to work the windows whether the door is opened or closed. The contact buttons only make contact when the door is closed.

If you get a keyless entry with more outputs than you need now you could always later upgrade later to pop open the trunk or add a trunk lid lift.

One last thing, the better window modules will learn how much current the windows need to fully raise or lower them and they also have safety breakers inside of them should they encounter an obstruction when operating.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic