icon

Just auto start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lubrano 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

I own a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited which already has an alarm which is controled from the factory remote which also controls the doors and memory seats.  I do not want to lose the memory seat feature by changing remotes.  I want to install a two way remote starter with extended range ( I like to know when the jeep is running) which will start the jeep and when I go to get in I can use the factory remote to open the doors and set the seats.  Another problem is the jeep uses a Transponder key which kills the ing. if the key is not in how do I bypass this.   Which is the best (reccomended) starter for my needs and how if possible can I wire this?

Thank you To everyone on this board for their help.

Sal

Laur 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
the big problem is the transponder key , if ya bypass the rest is simple
desh187 
Copper - Posts: 310
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
If you still want to use your factory remotes and with this vehicle,you need to sacrifice a sentry key which will go with a transponder bypass module.next you need to find the factory alarm disarm wire.This is lots of work.
You can use your factory keyless and use your 2 way for alarm/autostart only.You can save lots of time by not using keyless on your aftermarket alarm.
I could suggest another thing if 2way is not a must,just install a remote autostart which can be controlled by your factory remotes, just by pressing lock button three times. The auto start has to have a programmable feature which could do this.
Lubrano 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

Could you tell me a little more about the auto start being controled by the factory remote.  Do I lose anything like the lock or unlock feature and what supplies will I need to install this and where do I get them.

Thanks

Sal

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Get a Python 581XP. Two-way transponder system. Get a 455J to control the factory alarm / doorlocks. Get a 555C for the transponder bypass. One remote, 2-way remote with 1/4 mile range. You can hook up an output from the remote start to pulse the memory seat wire in the door everytime you Unlock the doors by remote.
Here's how it would work for the primary driver. One 2-way remote, arm and disarms factory alarm, locks and unlocks doors, puts seat/settings into memory position 1.
For a secondary driver, they would have to continue to carry the remote from the factory and use it for locking/unlocking the doors if you only want to hit one button to get in. Another option would be to hit unlock, and then hold down aux. for a couple seconds to set the memory position in the jeep to #2.
Typical costs installed:
$400 - 2-way remote start
$50 - transponder bypass
$50 - doorlock interface
$100 - extra 2-way remote for spouse. unit only comes with one remote
$50 - extra labor to make factory settings work from aftermarket remote. It involves running wires into the drivers door to tap into the memory switch buttons.
Lubrano 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
Jworm I like your Idea!  Could you give some more details and the best place to purchase the DEI supplies.
Lubrano 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

Jworm I will be doing this insatll myself.  If you have any wiring charts for this install please post them.  I want to order these componets and do this.  You had a great idea.  Have you ever wired a jeep up like this before?

Sal

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
JEEP / GRAND CHEROKEE / 1999 / Remote Start
12volts      red & pink/black        +       ignition harness
Starter      yellow        +       ignition harness                
Ignition      dk. blue        +       ignition harness              
Accessory      RED / black        +       ignition harness
Second Accessory      BLACK/ orange        +       ignition harness

Power Lock      - see below
Power Unlock       - see below
Can use DEI part number 455J door lock interface control module. This will control door lock, unlock, arm, disarm, dome light supervision and more.
Parking Lights+      use (-) lights              
Parking Lights-      dk. blue/pink              steering column
Notes: The dk. blue/pink will flash the hazard lights. They will flash even with a latch input to the wire.
The parking lights can be activated by using a 1300 ohm resistor to ground on the yellow headlight wire. There is a rest resistance on the wire, so MUST use a relay to isolate away from the switch.
*** I have an easier way of doing this that is a straight negative trigger. I think there is a tech tip on this site that has pictures. I'll dig it up later***     
Tachometer                    
Notes: The 4.7L motor has a separate coil for each cylinder. Go to any coil and use any wire that is NOT dk. GREEN/ orange. On the 4.0L motor use any of the tan/stripe wires at the coil pack, or go to one of the fuel injector and use the wire that is NOT dk. GREEN/ orange.
Brake Wire      WHITE/ tan        +       drivers kick panel

Immobilizer Bypass Module:     Required: Yes     Type: Sentry Key     Part #: 555C or 555U
Notes: Only vehicles with gray keys have the immobilizer.

I have done a ton of remote starts on 99+ Grand Cherokees. Easy vehicles for me to do. I have never hooked into the memory seats on a customers vehicles, but that's because nobody has ever cared enough about it to be willing to pay the extra money for it to be done. Its simple to find the right wires at the memory seat buttons if you know how to use a multimeter. Problem is, its a pain in the butt to run wires into the doors due to the molex plugs in the door boot, and you will need to run 2 wires into the door to accomplish what you want done.
I recommend downloading and reading the install manuals at www.directed.com before deciding to do this on your own. If you can't find them, drop me a PM and I could email them to you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic