icon

Blacklight installation help anyone?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vanbulance_man 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
HI, I am looking to install some blacklights (two long or four short) into my car ( a long van....would need alot of blacklight) and I was wondering if anyone had done this and how they did it? Any advice would be appreciated...thanks!
~Vanbulance Driver~
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

I have a few blacklights in my truck now....  and really wish that I had saved my money for a new CD or something.  I NEVER USE THEM!!!   But, if you're REALLY looking to install them, the easiest and quickest way is going down to and AutoZone store, and buying the 12volt cigarette lighter blacklight kits, and a 4 way splitter cigarette lighter splitter.  All you need to do is put the lights where you want them, hide the wire if you'd like, and connect them all to the splitter.  Once you want them turned on, just plug in the splitter cord, and you'll have light.  You can extend wire as needed this way too...

If you'd like to get a little more ambitious, but not too involved,  break out the wire cutters / strippers / soldering iron, and electrical tape.  Disconnect the cigarette lighter from the dash, and run the splice into the wires connecting to it.  Solder everything nicely, and tape it all off.  Then you can add a switch if you'd like, and then solder the 4 way cigarette lighter splitter to your connection.  You can now mount your 4 way splitter where you'd like, and have a hard-wired cigarette lighter point, where you can plug the blacklights into.
The good thing about these setups is they're not too involved, the latter only taking about 1-2 hours, and are easily removed at will.  If you'd like to completely hardwire the lights in, you're looking at a bit more work.  You'll need fuses for the lights, power points, etc., without having the convienience with the plug in type. 
SO I'D GO WITH THE LITTLE STORE BOUGHT KITS....THEY'LL SAVE YOU TIME, GIVE YOU SIMILAR RESULTS, AND LET YOU GET THE JOB DONE DURING THE FIRST FEW INNINGS OF A BASEBALL GAME.....
***ALSO, I FORGOT TO MENTION, ADDING TOO MUCH WIRE SOMETIMES AFFECTS BULB PERFORMANCE.  SO MAKE SURE IF YOU EXTEND THE WIRES ON THE BLACKLIGHT KITS, YOU DON'T GO TOO FAR....OTHERWISE YOU'LL HAVE A CRAPPY QUALITY!!!

~wayland

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic