icon

1 farad cap install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hghnaz 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
I have a lightning lsd10tb 1 farad cap with dig monitor   and Im connecting it to a kenwood kac-728s 600 watt 2 channel amp . Do I hook up the power remote from the stereo (clarion db345mp) to the cap to the amp? Or does the cap illuminate the digital monitor ? It is a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan with 2 MTX 4124a   12"s in a sealed box. Thanks.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
you can use the wire from your remote lead to turn on your cap and your amp, or you can switch a constant 12v source for your cap. your choice.
Quad L Handyman services
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
BTW, the remote lead does not turn on the cap... the cap is ALWAYS on and charged, the remote lead only turns on the electronics to view the status of the cap... If you do not need to view the status of the cap, then forego the remote lead to it completely...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
hghnaz 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
What should the readout on the cap be? I hooked it up last night and it read 12.4 . Also do I hook up the remote lead power to the cap then the amp or just the cap?  I also read that I hook up the ground to the cap and the amp in different spots is that true or can I run them to the same ground?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
Without the engine running, 12.4v is pretty close... with the engine running, it should say around 14. (This number will depend on the capacity of your alternator and the load presented, as well as the overall condition of your electrical system).
As far as the remote goes, do not think of the cap as a cap, just another device to be turned on with the remote lead. It requires no special treatment in that respect... Simply connect the remote lead to ALL remote terminals in your system, this will allow all of the components to turn on at the same time.
The cap and the amp(s) can be hooked to the same ground, no problems will occur by doing so.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
with the motor running u should see about 13.7 volts. u realy don't need a cap with only 600wrms. I know they look cool, but are a waste if you don't have a big current draw, and a big alt to feed it.
Big Dave
hghnaz 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

OK Cool it was 12.4 with engine off but it seems like when driving at night the lights dim when I got Legion of Boom turned up. Maybe the alternator isnt running at full capacity. I could probably check the belt on alternator to make sure it is tight enough. Thanks for the input . Peace.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic