icon

How can I cover this box? help!!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crudeau 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  

I made this box, and yes I did put the top on it.  But I can't figure out how to cover it with that slot port.  I was thinking some formica with contact cement and using my router to trim it out.  I only need to cover the face of it.  The rest will be hidden.

How can I cover this box?  help!! - Last Post -- posted image.

crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

http://users.nac.net/crudeau/images/2003Mustang/StereoInstall/W7box.JPG

Is the link to the pic, not sure why it wont show in the post

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  

Nice enclosure.  You could use formica if you like that look.  Or glue on some carpet.  I'd put a couple of 2" wide braces along that rear wall, by the way, and seal up those seams.

Support the12volt.com
crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

I did one 3" piece that connects the front and back of the box together, in the direct center.  Also added a little polyfill in all the conners, to help with any standing waves (except in the port of course).

My problem with the carpet is I don't think I can get it to look good in the port area.  The formica is an idea I would like to do.  I would probably do the whole trunk up with formica.  But I can't find it.  Home depot doesn't sell the sheets any more.  Lowes has it but in ugly colors.  I would want plain black or a speckled black. since the car is so dark.

www.users.nac.net/crudeau is my site, the stereo section has some pics of the car and the trunk space.

crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

are there only good online places to buy formica?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Nice install pics on your site.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Any place that makes kitchen counters or display would have some formica lying around. Make sure you spray the inside of the port black before you go to glue down the formica. Another option is to make a second baffle board that may screw onto the front. This way you can fully upholster the balance of the box and have a screw on panel that trims around the sub and port. It can be routered mdf that has been sanded and clearcoated or painted whatever. It is a similar way that hammerhill finishes sub boxes.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
Nice install pics on your site.

Thanks

I was able to carpet this weekend.  I used 3m Ultra adhesive spray on it.  THat stuff is strong.  I just painted the port black, taped it off, and sprayed the adhesive.  Once the carpet was on and dry, I just cut it to very edge of the port.  Came out pretty damn good.  I couldn't find any formica I really liked, or any that looked good in a car for that matter.  Unless I wanted my trunk to look like marble. haha

beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

GREAT LOOKING BOX How can I cover this box?  help!! - Last Post -- posted image.

The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
crudeau 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks,

Do you know what a low pass filter/cutoff is?  I just posted another thread so I wont go into here.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic