icon

Alpine Type R subs-any good?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  

I can't decide between a Comp VR12, Pheonix Gold Tantrum, or an Alpine Type R sub.  Does anyone in this forum have Type Rs, or at least knows what they sound like in a car?  Of coarse I listened to them in the store, but it doesn't really help.  I will be using a 600 W amp that is probably more like 400 W bridged w/ plans for an amp upgrade next.  Will a 600W Lanzar amp be enough juice for the Alpine?( 300W rms/1000 peak)

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  

They slam with 300 watts in a sealed box easily.  There an excellent sub if your looking for spl, and sq in the same setup.   I had 3 last summer powered with 1000 wrms in a sealed box, each sub had its own 1.25 cubeic foot enclosure, and it hit so hard it broke my box open in the break in stage, and after that the hinge broke on my rear hatch on my suv, then my windshield shattered. ( glad i was standing beside the truck when that happend).

Be shure when you get an amp, that it puts out 300 rms, not lanzar power, they tend to over rate there amps by a few hundred watts.

Stay away from flea market brand amps and you will be pleased.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks dude!  I don't know if you saw any of my previous post about choosing a new 12, but i am definately looking for a balance betw. SPL and SQ.  You say sealed is the way to go?  Have you ever heard the factory slotted port box for theTYpe R?  I build my own boxes so any input on what will sound best is appreciated.  I know my Lanzar isn't the best, but it ain't too bad for a cheap amp-it's beating the hell out of 2 Audiobahn 10s right now.  I'll be upgrading my sub amp to whatever brand of sub I buy.  If I do choose the R, I'll be looking at the Alpine V-series mono amp(D, 350rms/700 peak) for $199. 
Disaster092 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
the pre-fab slotted Alpine box with a 12" type R in it pounds. A friend of mine has one in the trunk of her 01 Accord. It renders the rear-view mirror completly useless if you turn it up a little. I have never heard any distortion from it, and it's being powered by a Soundstorm amp, which is why i am so surprised that it doesnt distort. I've put in my Crystal  Method cd and man does that hurt to sit inside while its playing. This is all from a single 12" sub. Very good sub and box combo. But the funny thing is, the box isn't  what i'd call a true slot port box. They basiclly took a regular box, put a round port on the side, then built the box out a little more and put a slot in the front of it. I think the slot there is mostly for looks, but it works.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

Yes the pre fabbed box's by alpine are loud, thats what there made for, , they were ported for SPL, but they still retained some SQ while doing so.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic