icon

proximity sensor useful?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Pooreclipse 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

I was told that proximity sensors are really only useful for convertibles only?

Those of you who has it on a regular car, does it work outside the car? 

These things used to be pretty expensive.  now they seem really cheap

http://www.asianwolf.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1068694|1069136&PRID=1057682

The other thing I'm worried about is that the extra battery draw to power the sensor.  Can I wire a switch to only arm the proximity sensor when I want to.   I would think for short trips it's fine, if you want to park for a week, you might want to turn it off? 

rudbwoy69camaro 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Pooreclipse wrote:

I was told that proximity sensors are really only useful for convertibles only?

true, you can use it on a hardtop as well.
Those of you who has it on a regular car, does it work outside the car? 
yes, I have a DEI 508D, I set the sensitivity so if you were to peek inside-it'll
set off the warn away. 

These things used to be pretty expensive.  now they seem really cheap

It depends on what you get.  remember-you get what you pay for.

http://www.asianwolf.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1068694|1069136&PRID=1057682

The other thing I'm worried about is that the extra battery draw to power the sensor.  Can I wire a switch to only arm the proximity sensor when I want to.   I would think for short trips it's fine, if you want to park for a week, you might want to turn it off? 

It does draw extra power.  I think it is draining my battery.  That's a good idea, I should try intergrating a switch to turn it off at times.

spyderman_maryj 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

Unfortunately, I DO have a convertible with the proximity sensor.  The thing about them is that they do not go through metal, so in a hard top they might not catch as much as it would in a convertible.  What I have done is added two additional prox. sensors under the trim below the side rear windows (the original was installed under center console)  This way I have a better field of protection, without having to have the gains/sensitvity way up.  Now I find the system is not as sensitive to false alarms... but it is much more accurate than the single one was!..  As for the power draw, I have never had a problem even leaving the car up to two weeks between starts.  My installer even added a mini piezo siren for just the warn away.. and with three prox sensors I still have never had a problem.  Oh, and my installer told me he could install a relay up to one of the additional chanels to by-pass the prox. by remote if I wanted to... just a thought.

CivicSi 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
I have a clifford concept 400 with proximity sensor and I am able to disable this by using the remote. I Installed this in my Explorer Sport Trac and haven't had any problems with false alarms. I have found that if the sensitivity is way too high and someone parks next to me it will give off a warning, so make sure your sensitivity is adjusted properly.
hockey18 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
You can just get a toggle switch for the power wire to turn it on and off and put the switch somewhere on your center console or dash. That's how I have mine.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
proximity sensors are usefull if you want to leave your windows down. dependent upon the sensitivity they can ward off people looking through your windows.
I would think that the power useage would be very minimal and any attempt to turn it off would be waisted time and $$$$.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic