icon

Ipod > GM Factory HU w/Pioneer XM

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Avalanchedad 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

I'm using the pioneer tuner/soundgate adapter (v2) on an stock GM 6pak hu. I want to add my Ipod, but not through FM-Mod. Is there another adapter that I can add the will give the RCA jacks I need and keep everything else I have?

I found this, but am not sure that I can get this plugged in. 

http://www.pie.net/sec14sb4.htm

If I read this right, I could put this adapted on the ip input on the XM tuner, power it up and it should then be able to take the ipod.   Any insight would really be appreciated.

bfletcher 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
That piece is made to plug into the ip bus in the back of a pioneer headunit.  I don't believe that it will work on the ip bus that is available on the xm tuner.  If you want to add a portable mp3 player through a aux input then I would reccomend that you buy a new head unit.
rbumpus 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Avalanche,

I just ordered the same combo, Soundgate and Pioneer I have the 6 Disc Head unit (GM) how does it work? did you need to have the radio reporgrammed?

Avalanchedad 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  

It isn't hard.  But it can be tricky.  Make sure you have the latest version of the Soundgate.  I think they are up to ver. 4.0.  Basically you need to get the head unit out of its mount.  Depending on the vehicle it can be easy or pretty tough.  On the Av, it was easy.  Then you pull the main cable off the HU and plug it into the adaptor.  The same plug in the adapter goes into the HU.  Run the power and the ground to the adaptor.  I used the 12v outlet wire, but there are other places to get power from.  Install your tuner per Pioneer's instructions and plug your IP cable from the tuner to the adapter.  Fire it up and XM away.  You do not have to reprogram you HU.  I have XM playing through the HU and have all the controls working including the steering wheel stuff.  I have v2 of the Soundgate, so there is a couple of things that are just a bit strange.  You can only store 6 stations on the preset instead of 12 and you have to manually select the presets from the HU, you can't do it from the steering wheel.  Other than that you can't tell it from the factory install

One other thing, if you wire this up and it doesn't work, pull the power off the hu, the tuner and the adaptor and then put it all back together.  The adaptor is a bit flaky but once you get it working it is all good.

Hope that helps, ping me you need help

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic