icon

First FG box done today.Mistakes=learning

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Disaster092 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

Today i had to be at work at 7am for a meeting (waste of time was only 30min.) and i didnt have to be at work until 1pm. So i got home around 7:45 and thought. Hey, it's a pretty nice day out, i have a lot of downtime, i'm gonna fiberglass. So i put together a frame using some 1/2" dowels and hot glue, and designed a simple wedge box to fit under my hvac controls and in front of my shifter in my truck. i have an 8" walmart sub i wasnt using so i found a use for it. Unfortunetly, the front of the box was too small to fit a ring in, so i had to come up with a way to hold the sub in place using more dowels. I made corner braces pretty much, so it made the front have a hexagon type shape insde the square. It actually worked out pretty good in the end btw. So i grabbed the best thing i could find to stretch over it, and all i came up with was a cotton t-shirt, eh, good enough. Well, it does the job but it is very hard to stretch tightly, so i do have some slight sags, but hey, its my first time.after that was all said and done, i went ahead and mixed up some resin, and started to coat the shirt. It soaked up a good amount so i figured i was good. I went inside and let it sit for about 45 min to an hour, and presto, nice hard box ready for some matting. Again, mixed up resin and got to work, got the first layer done in about 15 minutes, felt like 2 hours though. and after that was done i let that dry a little.

I went inside, had myself a nice cold drink, and went back out to continue. I get about halfway through the second layer and i realize OH CRAP! i'm out of resin. Me being the lazy person i am, i said, meh, screw it its good enough. I put it in the shed to fully cure, and not stink up the house, went inside showered and went to work.

After i ate dinner i went back outside to continue the box. It was pretty damn solid, so i went ahead and cut out the hole for the sub. Realized that because i didnt have an even surface to mount the sub to, i had 1/8" gaps on the top and bottom. My quick thinking thought of weather stripping. I have a roll of universal stuff, so i used it, and preston nicely sealed. After getting it all wired, hooking the amp back up to my car, i go out to test it. I'd have to say i'm pretty impressed for my first time. I realize why they say 3-4 layers minimum. The bottom and back flex like crazy if im not holding them, and it sounds like ass if i let it flex. So i will take care of that tomarrow. But other than that, it turned out ok.

I will have to see about getting some pics to post up here. I didn't cover the box, or paint it. All i did was sand the sharp points out. And now i'm still itchy, een after i took another shower. I hate how this stuff works it's way inbetween your fingers and stays there. So annoying.

Other than that, i rather enjoyed the experience. And whats kinda funny is this box is about .27-.30 cu ft, when the recommended is .75 - 1.25 yet it still sounds very decent for what it is.

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

Hehe, do try to be cafeful when working with that stuff.  I was helping a friend of mine run some network cable through the ceiling of a classroom portable.  The cells they use to cover each rectangular frame had like small pieces of fiber in them and I paid no attention to that fact until afterwards.  I went to brush it off my arms and it stung the sh*t out of me.  It lasted for days, highly irratating.  I was told if you cover your arms with baby powder it will keep your pores closed so the small particles don't irritate your skin as much or at all.

I would like to see the pictures too when you get a chance to upload em.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
another trick is a thin coat of vasline on your arms......you can use this when painting also and the paint will wash right off
if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
First FG box done today.Mistakes=learning -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic