icon

redoing a professional instal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
When i had everything installed, they installed a 60a fuse underneath my hood.  I didnt know what size it was until i blew it.  Anyway I was reading the amp manual and it says to use a 180a fuse.  Now to me this seems like a HUGE differnce.  My question is, if everything is working ok should i change the fuse to the 180a (maye 150a since i cant find a 180a)?  Does having a lower rated fuse do anything to restrict power getting to my amp?  Thanks and the amp is a Memphis 16-MC1300D 75watts x4 and 1000w x1 rms. thanks.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  

The 150 Amp fuse will work. It's there to protect the wire, not the amp. The amplifier will draw more than 60 amps, so the fuse will do exactly as it's designed to do.

If that amp ever pulls more than 150 Amps (which it probably won't) then you can go crazy trying to find the 180 Amp fuse. You can also parallel two fuses, but using one fuse is cleaner and simpler.

Who did that for you, Circuit City?

netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
Heck no, i wouldn't let Circuit city touch my stuff.  Give me some credit.  It was a local stereo shop that a few of my friends reccomended to me.  Dont think ill be going back.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

get a circuit breaker.

kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
all a fuse does is protect the amp, if your amp for some reason decides to pull more amps than it can handle the fuse pops and shuts down the connection to protect the amp from damage
what!?!?! you want some??
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Thats not totally true. The fuse serves several purposes. First off the fuse does protect the amp from a short under the hood. It also protects the batttery incase something arcs out in the back or the amp decides it should send a ground spike back through the line which I saw happen when a chap amp had a wire break off inside the amp and arc on the 12 volt line. It also does stop the amp from drawing a dangerous amount of power. It sounds to me like that amp may not be fused internally in which case their should be a fuse in line both at the battery and right by the amp. If there arent two fuses, then get another one.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, guys, while you are all right, to a certain extent, the under-hood fuse is to protect the CAR, first and foremost! The fuse under the hood can be a 500amp fuse if your power cable is big enough to support that current capacity. It has nothing to do with the power demands of the amplifier (if properly installed). You rate the fuse according to the SIZE of the POWER CABLE. The reason I say it this way is this: If you have an amplifier that only draws 100 amps, your distribution block will have the 100 amp fuse in it, or the amp will have that protection capacity in the end of it. Obviously you would never need to run a 1/0 cable to the trunk for a 100 amp load, but if you did, you would fuse the cable appropriately. If the car is ever in an accident, and the power cable is pinched, or the insulation is broken for any other reason, the main fuse under the hood would blow. If properly rated, it will blow before the cable can get hot and catch on fire. THAT is the very reason you place this main fuse within 18 inches of the battery.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

What he said ^ ^ , , the fuse under the hood is to protect the power cable, and only the power cable, so you don't catch your car on fire.

8 guage wire is good up to around 60 amps

4 guage up to about 150 amps

and 0/1 up to about 250-300

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic