icon

I need some sub advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
augydoggy 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

Im looking for a inexpensive system for my car, nothing fancy, Im only 16 so I dont have much money, but I want some boom.  My car is a 1991 2 door Chevy Cavalier.  Im trying to decide what sub to get.  Im trying to decide betwen these two.

AudioBahn Dual 12" Tuned Bandpass System 800 watts RMS

I like this becasue the subs are already in a box, so I dont need to bother with building or buying one, plus it has the neons, which are cool.

The other sub im considering is a Audiobahn 15" Alum Sub 1100 watts RMS.

The 12"s are 139.99, the 15" is 159.99. Both from cardiscountstereos.com.

I will be buying a pyramid 1000 watt 2 channel amp to run them.

Which of these is the best buy? Will the 15" pump better than the 12".

I dont really know that much about car audio, and dont know anyone that does. I dont have alot of money to spend on a professional install. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  

You can get much better equipment for your money.  Nix the Audiobahn and Pyramid.  There is much out there besides what is at your neighborhood store.  For the sub, you can order this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-581 and the box is calculated and built for you.  It's audiophile sound for a great price.  You don't need two, just use one sub.

For the amp, I have had really good experience with this amp in the 4 channel version, but otherwise identical  http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=3511  You'll get bang for your buck with this, and it looks good too.  You can bridge the sub to this amp.

Your keeping the car's radio head unit?  If so, you'll need a line output converter to run a signal to the amp.  This is a good one  http://www.autosoundgear.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnqrdnr8

Set this up in your car and then go compare it to somebody's Audiobahns running off a Pyramid.

kevinbo5 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
So you recommend Profile CL series for the budget-minded? Which 4 channel amp do you recommend? The CL640? 75Wx4 @ $129.00.
Does "thezeb.com" warranty the Profile line?
How is Profile on the scale of reliability and quality?
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Do not use a bandpass box for those subs(I'm assuming they are 1251s).  I had a similar setup for a pair of 1051s and it really sounded bad.  Sure the box looked great and was cheap(on ebay), but it was not the right size for the subs.  Subs always sound best in a box built specifically for them.  I've since built a duel-chamber ported box tuned to 36hz and they soung awesome!  If you've never built a box, this site is the place to be, it has many box-building resources and members are always quick to help!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
Ditto the Dayton Quatro suggestion from Parts Express.  These are very good sounding woofrs.  I cannot recomend Profile for an amp, although I have not heard their newer CL series.  In the same price range I would rather recomend Phoenix Gold or Lighning or US Acoustics or even Crunch, and there are some Autotek amps that can be had for around $100 to $120 that are very nice.
Support the12volt.com
robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

Dyon is right....stay far away from the profile amps...you might as well buy roadgear. I have installed many of them for customers who bring them in and they just don't put out the power they should. i used to have a 91 cav and i went with the 15, two 12's and two 10's. just my suggestion now....but if i were you i would down the sub size and go for a pair of decent 10's ( the audiobahns are pretty hard hitting) and take the extra money left from the subs and put it into a JBL 600.1 to push them....trust me...it will hit. You could shop around and prolly find that whole set up for 300 to 400.

if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
I need some sub advice -- posted image.
cmh 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
NOW THIS IS BUDGET FRIENDLY:
I like the KOIILER German made amps myself, they are really cheap and true to the written specs. I use a Koiiler 1500 watt amp in mono at 2 ohm and I get 1000 watts rms and a bit under 1500 watts max!!! It only cost 150$ and you can do a web search to find them. I matched it with another german company Volfenhag for the 2 zx-4712DVX subs in a devided ported box tuned to 45hz and WOW I get 103 DB (THAT IS COMPETITION LOUD) in the cab of my 96 Chrysler LHS (Box is in the trunk) and all for:
AMP- 132$
SUBS X 2- 120$
Box parts- 45$
NOW THAT IS CHEAP!! And all of that equipment is warrentied. If this is what you decide use WinISD to design a box, That way YOU can make one to fit your space because there is no one size fits all sub box.
cmh 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
BY THE WAY-
WinISD is found and downloaded here: IT is AN excelant BOX design PROGRAM!!
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdI need some sub advice -- posted image.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
....... if the Audiobahn box is model# ABP122T, that thing absolutely wails. Powered properly with proper gains setting and use it will wail. I do not like bandpass at all, but this box rocks, audiobahn did a good job with it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

cmh wrote:
NOW THIS IS BUDGET FRIENDLY:
I like the KOIILER German made amps myself, they are really cheap and true to the written specs. I use a Koiiler 1500 watt amp in mono at 2 ohm and I get 1000 watts rms and a bit under 1500 watts max!!! It only cost 150$ and you can do a web search to find them. I matched it with another german company Volfenhag for the 2 zx-4712DVX subs in a devided ported box tuned to 45hz and WOW I get 103 DB (THAT IS COMPETITION LOUD) in the cab of my 96 Chrysler LHS (Box is in the trunk) and all for:
AMP- 132$
SUBS X 2- 120$
Box parts- 45$
NOW THAT IS CHEAP!! And all of that equipment is warrentied. If this is what you decide use WinISD to design a box, That way YOU can make one to fit your space because there is no one size fits all sub box.

1. 103 decibals is loud but not terribly loud (not competition loud)

2. Just because they have a german like name dosnt mean they make a quality product or are even made in Germany.. Check DYohn's post on this company: click

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic