icon

Subs keep blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kiteman 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
     A friend has a boss monoblock 1100 amp, and he has 2 12" power acoustic dual 4 ohm subs.  The subs are wire up to Parallel so as to bring them to a 1 ohm load.  The subs are also mounted reverse in the box. He seems to blow a sub a week? anyone have any ideas?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Lots of ideas, including low quality build on those brand names, but the most likely is the amp is clipping heavily due to gain being set incorrectly, and/or the enclosure is way too big.
Support the12volt.com
kiteman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
       The box is about 1 to 1.25 prefabe box,  would it have anyting to do with the subs being mounted in rev. ?  Also what does the phase button do?
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
when a sub is inverted it is basically playing backwards. phase is used to control this, being inverted shouldn't have anything to do with the subs blowing
what!?!?! you want some??
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
remember that he has to reverse the wiring if he has the magnet out of the box too. so postive would go to neg an so on. from what i read on here that is what u have to do.
southsider
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
With the subs inverted, they add about 0.1 cuft to the enclosure volume, so at worst you are at 1.3 cuft.  Is this per sub or is it shared by the two?  I strongly suspect the amplifier is clipping, probably because it is being over-driven or the gain is way too high.  A boss amp is about 50% over-rated, so your "1100 watt" amp is probably more like 500 watts, so he may have cranked it up trying to get more out than it is actually capable of delivering.  RESET THE GAIN!
Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
I smell.......CLIPPING.....anyone else?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kiteman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
       When you say clipping, wouldn't the amp be shutting down into protecting mod, and the cumming back on?  And Kicherstang you mentioned that fhase would control this? The phase switch on the amp and controls the RCA outputs coming out of the amp right?  Also southside mentioned wiring up the speakers up backward is that the right way?  Thanks
DYohn 
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

No, a car audio amp will not shut down if it is clipping - well, some very expensive ones actually have clipping detenction circuits in them, but BOSS does not and they are VERY prone to clipping.  This will fry your speakers.  TURN DOWN THE GAIN!  Set it properly.

A phase switch on an amp or crossover will do the same thing as swapping the wires at the woofer.  Turns + in - and vice versa.

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

Throw phase out the window, it has no place in blowing a sub for this discussion. No an amp will not shut down due to clipping (unless it has a really really amazing protection circuit - not in this amp though). Wiring up the speakers backwards is also a phase issue and again it will not be affecting our outcome.

Are you familiar with clipping and what it is and the same for phase?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic