icon

Common ground vehicles

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lokim 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
how do i install a radio?  (w/o running all new wires.)
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
installing a new stereo all you should have to do is pop out the old one, and pop in a new one, get a wiring harness and you should not have to run any wires at all...
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
With a floating to common ground adaptor. Run the new wires, it would be best that way.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Lokim 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
is there any way to do it without running new wires?
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

There is a reason why common ground systems aren't so 'common' anymore....

Stop being lazy and run your wires! 

mr12volt 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
If you dont run new wires you run a better than good chance of frying your radio.  With the common ground the negative wire coming off of the speakers are grounded to the chassis.  When you wire the new radio to the chassis you can, and more ofter will, short out the radio.
kmn5 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I got the EXACT same problem on my Lexus SC300
ARGHHH!!!!
I pulled out the factory headunit and factory amp in the trunk. And find out that it's common ground! Doh!!!
The factory amp generated the pos/neg signals for all the speakers.
But from the HU to the Amp it's common ground negative Common ground vehicles -- posted image. Common ground vehicles -- posted image. Common ground vehicles -- posted image. Common ground vehicles -- posted image.
kmn5 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  
my only options now are to run new negative wires from the HU to the rear harness, or get a 4 channel amp and use the RCA to the rear then output the pos/neg signals from the amp....
any suggestions or comments??
thanks
Ken
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  

kmn5 wrote:
Yeah I got the EXACT same problem on my Lexus SC300
ARGHHH!!!!
I pulled out the factory headunit and factory amp in the trunk. And find out that it's common ground! Doh!!!
The factory amp generated the pos/neg signals for all the speakers.
But from the HU to the Amp it's common ground negative Common ground vehicles -- posted image. Common ground vehicles -- posted image. Common ground vehicles -- posted image. Common ground vehicles -- posted image.

Actually (if you have the system I think you have) you are seeing line level signals going from your head to the amp, not "common ground."  Common ground means the negative on the speaker side uses the car chassis, and that is not the case in a Lexus.  The line level signal from the head to the factory amp shares ground, but this is normal in many line level systems.  If you are using a powered head unit and want to run speaker level signals from the head, you must run new speaker wires as you currently have none at the factory head.

Support the12volt.com
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
listen to the good advice above. for the amount of time you've spent looking for another way to do it, you could have run new wires already.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic