icon

Legal issues on plexiglass use

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

If its a purely trailer queen, then you can do anything to it that you want. Long as it isnt driven, they really cant to jack to you- that is unless its got a loud ass system, or is hazardous to the public.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know about other states, but here in California you can do pretty much anything you want to the body of a car as long as you don't interfere with required safety equipment (like bumpers) and you don't modify the smog equipment on the engine.  Oh, and you have to ensure you have not created a safety hazard for other drivers (like excessive glare.  You can't, for example, chrome plate an entire car.)

Now back to the question about using plexiglass as a trunk window, I would suggest you be very careful about the choice of material.  DEFINATELY do not use Lexan, as this will sun-craze and even yellow if exposed to the sun too long.  The best choice, actually, is probably plate glass, as it would not be affected by the sun at all and it is probably cheaper than any plastic.  Two other things to consider is the effect of the sun beating directly into your trunk which might excessively heat up your gear, and the change to the trunk lid weight that might keep the opening mechanism from working correctly.  You may have to install hydraulic lifts for the trunk lid.

Cheers.

Support the12volt.com
Kobaltic 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the info. My idea is to use 2 trunk lids and rotate them when needed. I don't feel safe about driving into the city with a trunk window. So I would always use a normal trunk lid for that purpose. I am installing a "flip top open" trunk lid to use so you get better clearence and visiablity. I will add a small motor to handle this so I don't think there will be a problem with lighter weights. Thanks everyone for the replys.

Kobaltic

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic