icon

Where to get fiberglass materials?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Techmaster 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard that you can buy fiberglass materials from the big hardware stores like home depot and lowes...but those are big stores, and it can often be next to impossible to find anything there. What section of the store would you find fiberglassing materials? Thanks!
mikep3 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
Try the automotive department. A lot of people use fiberglass to repair cars and boats so it should be somewhere around there. If you cant find it why dont you ask someone from the store? Also sometimes you can get better prices going to car supply stores that sell paint and repair supplies.
Techmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
But there is no automotive department at home depot or lowes.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Home Depot keeps it in the paint department. Usually next to all the adhesives like epoxy etc. They usually have small packs of fiberglass mat and cloth. Resin, hardener, mixing materials, dust masks, goggles, etc.
Mike
Techmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Cool, thanks!  I'll have to swing by there once I get the subs...  I'm planning on ditching my Dayton DSQ 12"s and getting some CDT Audio HD subs.  I'm sure soundwise, they're probably the same.  But, I want to get some smaller subs for space reasons, and fiberglass a box on the side of my hatchback trunk (acura rsx).  I already have CDT speakers all the way around, components in front and coax's in back...so I think getting their subs as well for uniformity would be really nice.  :)   Nothing wrong with the Daytons though, I absolutely love them, and I imagine the CDT's won't really have a noticeable difference.  (I hope they're AS good!)

Wherm 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

be careful when buying that stuff.  if it's old it takes a long time to cure, if the resin even activates.  I would spend the extra money and order from www.selectproducts.com.  excellent customer service and huge selection of products.  good instructional videos and the fiberglass is perfect.  I only use their stuff, give them a try

Techmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

Well I could always get it locally, and if it doesn't activate, I can return it and tell them that it's defective.  ;)  We have a lot of boat shops around here as well, I'll probably hit them up first and see if I can get it in bulk for cheap.  I live in the new orleans area afterall, so there's plenty of boat shops.  

Subsonic_1 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  

I would suggest going to select products...they have an extensive line up of fabrication equipment(actuators,fiberglass,and plexi)....i have an account with them and the dealer prices are great.....go to the site get the number..... talk to joe eglesias.... good guy will definatly hook you up...............

www.Selectproducts.com

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  

"Well I could always get it locally, and if it doesn't activate, I can return it and tell them that it's defective.  ;)"

Don't hold me responsible..... Where to get fiberglass materials? -- posted image.

sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
ive always got mine at hos depot and havent had any problems yet.  but they rotate their stock here quite a bit.  fg doesnt seem to last long on the shelves here.  alot of people doing crap for their boats this time of year since weve got 20 lakes within an hour from my house.  that brings up another place tho.  boat shops.  theyll definately have fresh fg, probably for cheaper and in more bulk.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic