Using Ignition disable keypad to start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtromszc 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Everyone,
First of all I want to say that I love this board. I am still reading a lot, but the information here is VERY helpful. Here is my dillema
During the installation of my APS996A I tought of eliminating the need for my keys.(Yeah that Lexus commercial) The alarm keychain would be used to lock/unlock the doors. I was thinking of installing one of those transponder optoins, which would turn the ignition on instead of closing the starter circuit, and using a keypad to start/crank the car. Of course I would also need a kill switch to turn the ignition off later. How can I limit the crank time afer I put the code in? Of course I could do all of this with the regular key if needed to. Is this doable at all, or did I go too far? Give me a few hints over here.Thank You very much,
                     Michael
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Hey mtromszc,
Nothing is impossible....
It would be simple enough to have the output of the keypad crank the engine but I wouldn't recommend it 'cause the tach isn't being supervised so it has no idea if the engine is running or not.
The ideal thing would be to install a remote starter and have the keypad trigger the remote start sequence. This way the car receives the acc, ign, and crank at the correct time and the tach would be supervised.
But at this point you might as well press the button on the transmitter to start and the bonus is that you get to lock/unlock via the same transmitter.
Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
what you've described is not hard to do. you can have switches everywhere, maybe even requiring activation in a particular sequence to start your car with just buttons and no key. however, unless you feel like breaking off your steering wheel lock, you will still need to stick your key into the ignition cylinder before you can drive your car. so realistically, it'll look really cool for you to start your car by just pressing buttons, until you get to the part of still needing a secondary action of sticking your key in.
Peter_Mayers 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
I had the same idea but like Jimmeez said the problem is the steering wheel. You can eliminate the wheel lock all together but that makes it easier for thiefs :). The cool part would be to come up with magnetic lock that would engage and disengage with alarm arm/disarm. The scary part is that electronic sometimes fails and I would not like it to much if I could not turn while driwing :o):
jfceb3 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Guys! I'm a noobie...looking to see what was out there for keyless ignition. My brother and I were inspired to build one after seeing the keyless ign in "The Transporter." We thought, we could do that....

I had forgotten about the steering wheel lock. Maybe there is some kind of latching solenoid that could be placed in there. A latching solenoid would be a solenoid that has to be specifically told to set or reset. Then when starting the car, the electronics could tell it to reset (unlock) mode--and it would remain there until given the command to set (lock). A true latching solenoid would keep the last commanded state, no matter whether power is lost or not. This would solve the problem with a locked wheel during the untimely event of power failure.

As for the starting mechanism, I'd also been thinking about that. There may be a couple ways to do that. A feed off the tach could be fed back to the electronics telling it that the motor had successfully started. You could also have it so it would only pulse for a split moment every time you told it to start, whether that be through re-entering the code, or a seperate start button. That'd probably be the easier way, although unconventional up here in "Cold-Winter" part of NY State.

My thoughts....I'll probably be building at least the keypad and electronics pretty soon. It's that steering wheel lock that scares me a little. It looks awesome to put a code in, and have your beast fire up, but if you have to put the key in just to unlock the wheel....that defeats the point of the whole thing.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic