icon

Breaking in a new sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
I finally got my Alpine Type R, it's going in a sealed box tomorrow.  How do I safely break it in.  Also, when is it sufficiently broken in enough to crank up the bass?  You guys know the suspense is just killing me, I'm ready to hear that baby POUND!!!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

alex, it would be worth your while to watch that woofer move at resonant frequency, as it does when you break it in (textbook-style).  It's a beautiful sight.    Too late now, but preparation for break in is easier to do when the woofer is still in transit!  Now,the hardest thing to do is to be patient. Remember that while you're easing that beast in with the Philharmonic Orchestra.

Search this forum for breaking in and you'll pull up several recent discussions on this topic. 

xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  
well if you dont wanna search lol like me. and you want answers right away. when breaking in a sub you CAN pound the hell out of it. BUT just remember to make sure it doesnt have ANY distortion what so ever. have fun :) i know you'll be please!
xTimx
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

If you can make CD's on your computer, you can make a CD with frequency tones.  Use this free (for 14 days) program, create .wav files of any sine wave freq you want.  I used the standard Roxio CD Creator.  And I used the CD that I made to break in my sub at its fs of 22Hz.  It was also useful to help me set the xover settings on the  amp.  http://www.softpile.com/Education/Mathematics/Review_21743_index.html

If you do this, you only have to run the tone to the woofer for about 10 minutes for break-in.  At least it would make you feel a lot more comfortable with giving the new sub the volume you need to when you are adjusting the gains.

Disaster092 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
Speaking of breaking in subs. I could swear i remember hearing about playing the tone with the sub free air at low volume. Or should it be done in the box?
stevdart 
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, in free air.  You'll see the excursion with low volume.  Turn it up until you hear a murmer from the woofer, and hang it up rather than laying it down on its magnet.
alex75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well the Type R is finally in the trunk, the box I built looks sweet.  So far I've played it up to volume level 8(Pioneer DEHP-goes up to 30, 10-14 is as loud as I usually crank it) and it sounds GREAT,-- hits clear as a bell in a sealed box.  Can't wait to really listen to it :)  Thanks for all the info guys!
stevdart 
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Ok alex, play it like that for at least 5 hours.  I assume the amp gain is set below half?  After that amount of warmup, you should be able to set the gain to the HU.
Vortec4800 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

I got a wave-generator from my school's physics lab and ran it at about 30Hz or so overnight. There's no special frequency to break it in, just something that gets the suspension moving all the way freely without pushing too much power through it. The purpose of break in is just to soften the parts up and get em ready.\

If you don't play it too hard for the first day or so (or about 5 hours like stevdart said) you'll be good to go. Some people don't even believe that break-in is necessary, but I figure it can't hurt it.

2000 BMW 540i 6 speed
alex75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah the amp gain is turned down as well as the bass boost.  Forgive the novice question, -but how do you properly set the gains to the HU?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic