icon

factory equipped gm remote starters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
The owner of a shop i install for was talking to a DEI rep. who was saying that DEI is supplying the factory installed GM remote starters. But i guess the rep. either didnt know, or didnt want to disclose info about range/options, etc. has anyone actually had some hands on time with these factory installed r/s? is the range really sh*t%^y like everyone was talking, like 60 feet?.I think its pretty crappy that DEI is just whoring the market like this, and in turn is going to start to affect our industry, taking away work and money from us. the aftermarket industry, did DEI forget to think about that at all?
Pepsi2185 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

They sold out a long time ago bro.  You notice the new upper end cliffords, python and viper have an audiovox plug.  And that plug barely contacts the wires.  That stupid satellite pack with the crappy mini relays instead of the nice hefty bosch harness.

As soon as they bought out audiovox and in turn received code alarm it was all over.  Besides that a lot of new vehicles have low RF glass in them limiting remote start range and they refuse to move on in technology that lower end companys are already going for.  The fm two way pager would be better suited through the acutual fm antenna or at least as a secondary.  Anway you got me babbling.  You got it bro.

Big Joe

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
DEI stopped caring a while ago. First generation responder remotes sucked, crappy range on low end units, high prices, and my favorite is the blister packaging. Not to mention how far behind they are on bypass units compared to other companies.
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, whats up with the lack of bypass and interfaces for all these new cars? i especially love their lack of tech support to "unauthorized" dealers, they dont have a problem selling the product and taking my money, but when it comes to tech support, im ass out.
derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

The giant mega corperation selling out, and turning their back on the common man ? man, I think I'm gonna go write the screenplay...

As for the support for unauthorized dealers, you're dam skippy. The biggest waste of tech supports time, is spent talking to uneducated end users who are attempting their first install. While the dealer who does, who knows how many hundered a year, waits on hold, while jr. is walked through his first pass lock 2 install. The bulk of tech supports time should be spent with the shops that keep them in business. If you're really a 'pro' you shouldn't need help, and if you do need their help, then why not become an authorized dealer, and support them too ?

lol, can you guess what my job is ?

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Guys! Guys! Guys! Calm Down!
Talk about things you know not what you dreamed about.
First of all DEI doesn't make factory installed remote car starters for GM nor anybody else.
The 04 Malibu Maxx is the only GM with a factory installed car starter manufactured by DELPI not DEI. Its range is limited to 60 meters (about 150 feet) not 60 feet. Do you feel threatened by a remote starter that can barely start a car across the street?
Secondly, DEI manufactures off-the-shelf starter/security
for GM. These are boxed systems installed at the dealerships at inflated prices decided by GM, installed by their mechanics. DEI didn't solicit this business but were approached because of their reputation for bullet-proof products. GM didn't want Code Systems in their vehicles like Ford or Chrysler but they saw a need which had to be addressed. Aftermarket security/starters aren't GM's bread and butter and they aren't going to put aftermarket install shops out of business.
As for Bypass modules, DEI doesn't make any . . . they have INTERFACE MODULES. DEI is a security/start company and they weren't obligated to manufacture interface modules because there are distributors who do that exclusively. DEI knew that dealers prefer to do business with one distributor = one invoice, greater purchase power so they added modules as a bonus.
If you've followed the challenges in vehicle electronics you'd understand that what a company engineers, prototypes, manufactures and finally distributes could become obsolete by the time the year ends. It's important to tread lightly.
So now you know the facts.
Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
Big Dog, DEI isn't in the interface market? Have you ever been to a DEI training? I love the part when they start to cover bypass modules. You ask, "You guys gonna be coming out with a bypass module for the Ford ePATS system (latest Ranger, Taurus, Sable, Expedition and more)? "
Their answer: "Its impossible to make a bypass module for that car because the transponder has a rolling code. You must use a 555u and have the customer give up a key". I didn't have the heart to embarass the trainer in front of everybody and ask them how I have a no-key required integration module in my stockroom from another well known company (bypasskit.com). They also said similar statements about modules for other vehicles.
Thats just the beginning of how the company's tech support has gone downhill. I can't remember the last time I called there tech support because I barely ever need it, but when I do call them they usually don't offer too much help. I usually get treated like someone doing their first ever install, when in reality I could teach the tech support guy quite a few things.
I knew it wasn't DEI that was doing the Malibu's. Wouldn't care if it was. The OEM systems are overpriced featureless systems and I don't feel threatened by them at this point. My shop carries Alpine stereo equipment, but Alpine also sells a lot of radios for the factory systems, and I'm not mad at them.
My whole point was about 4-5 years ago DEI made products better then everyone else that didn't break. Now, things have changed.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
"The 04 Malibu Maxx is the only GM with a factory installed car starter manufactured by DELPI not DEI. Its range is limited to 60 meters (about 150 feet) not 60 feet"
The 2005 Buick LaCrosse, 2005 Cadillac STS, 2005 Pontiac G6 and possibly others are all scheduled to have factory installed remote starts. This isn't going to go away.. A little exert for the Cadillac STS "Smart" remote start system.:
"Smart Remote Start: Not only can you start the car from up to 200 feet away, but when you do the STS fires up the climate control to your last setting, and engages the heated seats and front and rear defrosters if the system deems it necessary."
I don't think my Audiovox remote start will be deciding whether it thinks the defrosters are necessary or not anytime soon.
Also 60 meters is equal to about 200 feet. We can laugh at that all day long but fact is that is plenty of range for majority of the customers.
By the way I haven't heard anything about DEI buying out Audiovox can anybody confirm that? Links?
Later,
Mike
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
i was surprised by this too....i keep in touch with my DEI rep and read the trade publications for our industry and have never heard a word about a DEI/Audiovox affiliation..... but i didn't want to jump in and ruin a good rant..... sometimes you just gotta let guys blow off steam
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
the data modules i use from importel (GIT Security) have the ability to turn on the heated seats, mirrors, and defrost if it is below a certain temp....     

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic