icon

goodguys vs circuit city

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
What I think we are all trying to say here is that you should go to a local shop not the big boys. You will by far have a better experience and better opportunities.
now in addition,
If you choose to go to the big boys for work, keep in mind that you will get experience installing but, If you come to a shop like mine for a job afterwords, I will have you under tighter watch for a much longer time coming from the big boys and will be given only one or two chances to prove yourself before I tell you to hit the road than a rookie new hire.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
I've worked for Circuit City, and for a local shop(for all of a single day), and saw a bit of substandard work in both places. They can get away with it because 98% of the people who get anything installed don't look beyond the surface to see that the wiring is neat, or read the owner's manuals to realize that their product isn't doing something it's supposed to, or even have a basic knowledge of how electricity works.
To be fair to both sides - most of the chains have a lot better technical standards and support available; however you tend to have location managers and higher ups who are horribly risk-averse, and more worried about getting to the next step on the corporate ladder then they are about running an awesome shop.
With local shops, you have a lot of flexibility for sure, but most of the shop owners will look down on you if you can't get jobs done with no technical information and minimal effort, and love to cut corners because if something goes wrong, the customer's not going to want a ton of money back like they would at Circuit City.
Fyrhwk1 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

It's hit or miss when it comes to retail shops, some places have hard workers who do good jobs and enjoy a product that sounds good when they're done, I know I do. Other times you'll have people who just do it because it's easy (BS if you ask me, this is one of the more stressful jobs i've had) and they can screw around all day.

You have to blame the customers partially, when they go to a retail shop they WANT that car back ASAP, they dont give the opportunity for us to take our time. Granted we can tell them to come back later, but that makes us look bad, especially since they probably wouldn't have done it if it would've taken that long, they're simply impatient. If given the chance, I'll take as much time as I need to do the car, I just had one in our shop for 2 & 1/2 days because it simply took that long, the customer told me to take as much time as necessary, within reason of course, and to get it right the first time and make sure it sounded good. If I had customers give me that much time, or even a full day every time, there'd almost never be an unhappy customer returning for whatever reason.

For the record, CC policy is solder everything, I will admit, once in a while I've thrown a crimp cap on a remote lead and probably shouldn't have, but I've never just twisted wires & taped them. Every other connection I make is soldered, and except for small gauge crimps I solder the crimp once I'm done with it, never had a ground or power cable come out on me that way and I doubt they ever will.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
I worked at The Good Guys (and before that Federated, dating myself) and can tell you the quality of an install has nothing to do with the store, it has to do with the people who work there.  Like mentioned above, if the manager is good and instills a quality work ethic in the installers, then anywhere including Kmart can be a good shop.  Good installers = good work.  But in general, you tend to find overall better jobs done at independent shops than at a commercial chain store, simply because of time.  Chain stores tend to push jobs too hard because they simply try to squeeze too many through in a day, where independent shops tend to give an install the time it needs.  You may pay more for the job, but in general it will be higher quality at a shop that is not pressed for time.
Support the12volt.com
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Teamrf wrote:
Circuit City solders all connections...at least the bay i use to work at did.
the one in houston tx do a really fine job, yes they do solder all connections. but best buy near here use t-taps all the way.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
CCroadshoptn 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2004 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
Like most have already said it really depends on the managers at that location and the installers they have under them. I know that they expect nothing but the best quality work form us at my location. I've had to fix work from our competitors as well as the work done my some of our (cc) other locations. I suggest get some feed back from people you know who have had work done there in your own area, as appossed to someone's bad experienced with another shop houndreds of miles from you. Yes, CC does solder their connections.
Mecp Certified
Double check advice with your Meter.
JungleBadger 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I wouldn't do either. For big companies it's def all about money. Your better off DIY or finding some low key place to do anything.
Boooooooom Chack Boooom Booooooom Chack
Ixj159 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

One problem w/ installers at our shop is they do not take the time needed because of the commission environment.  Which sucks because good installers get paid the same amount as the hacks.  This something to watch out for also. people who get paid hourly willl do a better job for the most part.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic