icon

2004 Trailblazer Remote Keyless Entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the_buzz_Man 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  

I just bought a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer that did not come with keyless entry installed. I have a few questions before attempting the project.

Is there a factory kit that can be purchased from GM that simply plugs in somewhere and activates it? (like I am doing with the cruise control switch swap). If so, does anyone have the GM part #?

If not, other than the keyless entry kit, what else would I need? (looking at getting the deluxe one from 12voltshop)

Will I need to purchase this Databus Interface Kit also? (wasn't sure if that was just for remote starter kits or not)

Also, roughly how hard is this to install?  If all I have to do is plug wires into harnesses or strip wires to tie into, I don't mind doing that. If it requires soldering or pulling all the door panels off, I would have a pro do it then. I wasn't sure if the databus kit made this as easy as installing a stereo or not.

I haven't found anything on the 2004 keyless entry topic in the forums, mostly about remote starters, but wasn't sure if they all tie in the same or not. I appreciate any info that can be given.

Thank You

the_buzz_man

crx4luke 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  

Aftermarket Keyless entry isn't too bad in the trailblazer as long as you do buy the gm databus interface. with this module you will only hook one wire up to do both the lock and the unlock, inside the vehicle. If you don't buy the module, then that is when you have to do all of that other stuff.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
just buy a good quality KE package and the data module and off you go....    BTW the data module will probably cost more than the KE kit
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
the_buzz_Man 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I am looking to get the Deluxe Remote Keyless Entry from 12voltshop.com. What data module do I get? Is it the GM Doorlock & Alarm Databus Interface Kit ( http://www.12voltshop.com/cadetails.asp?prodid=GMDL1&cat=22&path=1,22) or the Passlock 2 In 1 Wire Bypass ( http://www.12voltshop.com/cadetails.asp?prodid=PLDATA&cat=13&path=1,13).

Not sure if I need the databus interface kit or the factory bypass kit.

Thanks again for the info.

the_buzz_man

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
For the keyless entry you will need a GMDL1 or a GMDL4. The PLDATA is only necessary if you are putting in a remote start. I would go with the GMDL1. It is more involved than installing a stereo, but if your comfortable tapping into wires and can follow directions, you should be able to do it provided you have the right tools. (7mm to remove the dash panel, 10 mm to remove the steering column metal cover, wire strippers, tape, crimpers/solder/whatever you use to make connections, wire ties, awl/poke tool, etc)
the_buzz_Man 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

OK, the wife decided she does want the remote start feature too. So, according to NowYaKnow, I need the PLDATA. Do I also need the GMDL1?

I realize that the KE and RS kits connect to the wires coming from the PLDATA & GMDL1 modules, but how do the modules connect into the vehicle system? Do they have harnesses that simply plug inline? I haven't been able to locate any pics that show one installed, or instructions that show where they plug into. If someone knows of a good website that shows this, please let me know. I would like to order the stuff within the next few days, but want to make sure I have everything I need.

I appreciate any and all info given. Thank You!!

the_buzz_man

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
Yes if wanting remote start too, you will need the PLDATA and the GMDL1, OR a 2 in 1 type module that is basically just both of those combined. I've always just used the two seperately so I have no recommendation on a single module. Your also going to want 2 diodes to isolate your ground when running output to each module. Also nothing is going to plug in, you will have to locate/test all wires yourself, strip them, and tap into them. I have no idea on your knowledge or ability so I can't say if it's something you can handle. On these trucks since a lot of the connections are made between the modules, the prep work is the most time consuming and tedious. Hope it helps,
Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic