icon

invert mounting subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
4sight24 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
       what's up's everybody?  Can anyone tell me if you really need free-air subs to mount them inverted and if you do does anyone know what manufacturer has some good free-air subs.
holla!
Thedfndent 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

I'm pretty sure you can fire any sub down as long as you reverse the polarity when you wire it.  I don't really know though.  I'm not a real big fan of firin subs down just cause thats not what they were meant to do.  Call me          old-school.

2 12" L7's
PPI PCX-1500
4 6.5" Pioneer 4-way's
Kenwood KAC-6401
Lanzar Opti-Drive Cap
Sony CDX-F7700 Headunit
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
No, you don't want free-air subs for this kind of application.  You simply build an enclosre per the normal specs for the speakers, taking into account the fact that the magnet assemblies are no longer inside the enclosure and that you have added the volume inside the cone area to the enclosure size.  Do a search on the forum as there have been lots of discussions here about this mounting technique.
Support the12volt.com
4sight24 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks! i found some good info, but if i am mounting 2 RF hx2 reg. and 1 more inverted would it better if i made separate chambers for each sub or will it make a difference.
holla!
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

won't make a difference

what!?!?! you want some??
sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
id definately make separate chambers.  another thing you need to be aware of is if theres 2 normally mounted subs and 1 inverted sub, wire the two up just like you normally would, but with the inverted one you need to switch polarity and wire it "backwards" from the other subs.  this way when the two normally mounted subs are pushing, the backwards one is going the same way.  if you dont, youre gonna have some huge cancellation and it will sound bad.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
wont make a differece? wha....??? Unchambered will make a big difference. If you leave it unchambered you'll rip your subs apart, especially if their HX2's, not to mention your bass will be boomy and you'll have practically no SQ at all.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
Beg to differ on that last post, but if it is left unchambered it still must be braced internally, and the correct volume chosen for a coupled chamber box. Is this a ported box or sealed box you are going for?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with Forbidden.  As long as they are the same exact model and wired correctly, running them in the same chamber won't make a difference.  Or should I tell the guy running 9 of our Brahma Extremes with 10 kilowatts apiece that he's doing it wrong?  invert mounting subwoofers -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

4sight24 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

i am putting this in the trunk of a 2001 grand am.  i was going for a sealed mdf and fiberglass enclosure and i was thinking of making the back side of the enclosure plexiglass so you can see inside it when you let the back seats down.  what do you guy's think?                                            

thanks fellas! 

holla!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic