Deck Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soccer_aholic 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hey!

I was working on my car (1994 Eagle Talon).  I just put in a brand new alternator (140A).  Everything has been working fine for the past few days and now all of a sudden, when I turn off my car...the stereo will stay on for about 40-50 seconds before turning off.  This is even after I turned off the car, removed the key, got out, and armed my car.  If ANYONE has any ideas please let me know ASAP.

Thanks!!

Soccer_aholicDeck Problems -- posted image.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
What was the last change you made to the system before that happened?  And, did it work like normal for a few days AFTER you installed the Alt?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Have you got a cap in your system and rewired the power / ignition leads to the cd player by chance?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
soccer_aholic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

yes, all the deck wiring is perfect.  no i do not have a cap installed (even though I have one sitting there doing nothing :-)  As well, yes it did work for like over a week after the alternator.  the last change i made to the sytstem was putting my existing amp back into the car (same amp kit and everything) along with a new sub...not a big deal.  over a month ago i put in a new deck but it has been working up until this point as well.  the car is charging properly and everything.  all the electronics work other than the deck...well it works....sort of :-)

thanks for the quick reply

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
I would guess that the deck is fine, it's just continuing to receive 12 volts after ignition is turned off.  So, possible cause is the ignition switch.  Something may be sticking momentarily.  See if the deck turns off sooner if you wiggle the switch after turning the car off.
unreal3z 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
Does any other accessories work when you turn the car off? If you want to fix it you could just run your own constant and switched 12v from the ignition provided that the ignition is not the problem like stevdart said.
soccer_aholic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

no, everything else just as normal...it is weird that something would be sticking but it may be the explaination.  However, what could it be...because I know that the constant power works fine....just the only thing it would be is the ignition switch.  What would make it stick..what would I check to fix it? I have heard that possibly my new alternator is simply putting out a bunch of power and the deck is simply using it up.

Let me know.

Thanks!

stevdart 
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

The alt just supplies power on demand, and that power goes to the battery.  Once the switch is off, there is no demand.  Your switched source to the deck REM is not switching off right away, and as I understand it, you have made no modifications immediately prior to the problem.  The problem just started. 

Change the REM 12V switched to a different location.  With the ignition switch turned to ON and then to OFF, check with a multimeter for another switched 12V source somewhere under the dash.

soccer_aholic 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

ok, here is a story i forgot to mention before.  i was going to hardwire my radar detector, and i would use the wires that were hooked up to my reading lights.  there should have been a constant power there and it was very accesible.  so, i tried this and in the process at one point i touched the two wires together and it made my sub make a huge thump (as if i nice bass not just hit).  Whatever, i didnt think much of it.  so i hooked up my radar detector and it seemed to work, as soon as i shut my door it stopped working.  turns out, it would only work when my door was open regardless of the fact that the interior light was on or not (this boggled me, but i dont care).  What really throws my mind is that i now hardwired it down to the fusebox, and a proper ground.  my deck works 100% perfect now, no problems what-so-ever.  sooooo....my problem is solved, i just dont understand what about the radar detector makes my deck so weird things.  Let me know what you think, but yes...i did solve my problem.

Thanks for all your help!!

stevdart 
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Well...let's see....the deck was connected to the light circuit, the opened door closed the circuit, the radar detector was connected to the light circuit, the wires touching sent !!!!!!!!!! through the circuit and was ampified and sent to the sub..............................

As long as everything is working now, hey!  And hallelulah!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic