sequential turn signals

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Beulah Fatback 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I want to set up sequental turn signals on a vechical with three tail lamps.  I want it to work like: off, 1, 1+2, 1+2+3, off.  If anyone can give me a sechematic on this it would be very helpful.  I found a sechematic for sequential lamps on the web but they work; off, 1, 2, 3, off.  These were set up using capisitors, resistors, and transistors.  I don't care if the devices I have to use are these or relays or whatever.  I would like to be able to get all the parts from Radio Shack or a local auto parts store though.  Thanks in advance.

Beulah Fatback 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

Is this in the wrong forum or does no one have a clue what i am talking about?

Some old model Mercurys came factory with this.  The system they used was a motor with cams on the shaft.  Each cam hit a microswitch that turned on each lamp.  These systems are obsolete, and replacement ones are very expensive.  I figure that I should be able to make one electronicly, if I only knew how.   Please help!

Beulah Fatback 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Ok guys,

I had read the Basics on relays, and didn't really understand this until I read a post in the relay forum.

If I use this relay configuration: https://www.the12volt.com/images/turninglights.gif.  And use one relay per lamp, and cascade down on capacitor sizes will this work for me?

Like use a 47uf 35v cap on the first relay, then a 22uf 35v an the next and then a 10uf 35v on the last, will this work?

Will the blinker pulse going to activate all lamps?  Do I need another relay to deactivate the signal relays?

Thanks for the help guys.  I'm still new to all this relay stuff.  I just learned about 2wks ago how to even wire one.

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

I really didnt want to get into this but since you are persistant....

The reason that these units are semi-expensive is because they are not the easiest thing to design. Not all that difficult but not simply some relays...

The problem is that the brake causes different outputs other than the turn signal, with the brake or turn signal on it gets kind of complicated...

How would I do it? With a programmable device (microcontroller, GAL...)

How much do the units cost? It might not be all that expensive in the grand scheme of things...?

Beulah Fatback 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

I know the set up is going to be funny and be able to keep the lights working right.  That isn't really that big of a deal.

I have a 95 Intrepid, with three bulbs in the back.  From the inside out; a dual element for parking/brake, then a dual element for parking/turn, and finally a single element for parking only.

For my set up, I think I will have to swap the two dual element lamps so the turn signal will be first.  Then it would be a parking/turn, the next I would have to make a brake/turn, the the single element a turn only.

With the set up I was talking about above, they all would come on at once and stay on different intervals.  Right?

I think I would need to tap into the turn signal at the switch in the dash to start the above set up.  Then put an older style blinker between relays one and two, and then another between two and three.  Then add a blinker at the end to activate a relay that breaks the ground for a moment to get it started all over.  Will this work?  Souds like it will in my head.

I know that I will only have one parking light, one break light, and three turn signals.  I am willing to make a sacrifice. 

Thanks for the help.

xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

It may work... but what about when you hit the brakes? thats alwasy the design challenge.

With logic it would be much easier,

You could set it up for sequential turn signals, allon for brake lights, just the outer for parking... any combination you would like.

If you want I could probably program a chip and add a few transistors to make it work, and give it to you at cost (like $15)

If you still want to use discrete logic i think it would be possible but might get costly as it may involve a good amount of parts..

Beulah Fatback 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

I don't think it will work.  The blinkers like I was talking about are on then off, I would need off then on.  They are NC and once they heat up they open.

What I was thinking about the set up now is one dual element for parking lights / sequential turn, then dual element for brake / sequential turn, and then the single element for sequential turn only.

I would like to do all the work myself, no offence.  I just need help with the circuit layout.

Does it take special equipment to program a chip?

I have seen schematics for sequencers working more lamps than I need it to and use a 555 timing IC.  Is this something like you are talking about?

Buying it from you, xetmes, has not been totaly ruled out yet though.  Would it be $15 or so  per side?

xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

ohh im not really tring to push anything. Its just the way I would do it to avoid a bunch of circuitry...

I had started a discrete logic type circuit for this a while ago, based around a astable timer (555 timer) and some decade counters... The problem was allowing the brakes to work with the turn signal...

The chips that I was refering to do require a programmer, I mainly use the PIC series. If you want to write the code for one I would be happy to program the chip for you and ship it if you pay for the chip and mailing costs (probably around $8 or so)

let me know how it goes...

Beulah Fatback 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

Write a code?

$8 or so each or a piece?

Why would the breaks not work with the turn signal if you have enough dual element bulbs?

Started a descrete logic circuit; as in stopped and didn't finish?

Sorry for the baddgering.  Thanks though.

xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  

You may be able to use the second filiment, i that case it would probably be easy to do, but it would be hard to see the turn signal when the brakes are on I think.

You would probably only need 1 microcontroller so if you go that route you will probably only need one and a bunch of driving transistors...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic