icon

1.5 or 2 DIN

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
seigex 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
ok here's a question.. ya'll are saying escapes are 1.5 DIN.. if i'm right single din is 2"Hx7"W, and with using logic it would tell me that HALF-DIN is 1"Hx7"W ... when i measured the stereo in a 2004 Ford Escape it was 4"Hx7"W ... now logic would tell me thats a Double-DIN, is there something i'm missing?
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, here's the deal.  I tried to explain this earlier.  You can get a double din to work but you will have to make some brackets to hold it in place.  But, if you decide to go with a Metra kit for your vehicle, after installing the kit, you will only have a din -1/2 opening.  I've installed several double din units in F150, Mustangs, and in a Mazda Tribute.  It can be done.
Do it right the first time
seigex 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
well here's the reason i asked, i'm putting in a Kenwood KVT-715DVD in my '05 escape and am fabricating a box to go under it, i'm still in japan right now and my truck is back in california so i can't go pull the Mach 300 and check... and i need to know if i need to make it a 1" height or 2" height box to fit under the 715DVD
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
The only problem you might run into is finding a way to secure them to the vehicle.  Your factory radio and all aftermarkets kits snap into the opening.  I attached back strap to the units and screwed them into the firewall behind the radio.  In your case, I would go with the 1" height to give yourself room for error.  A double din is an exact fit.  Stabilizing and securing the unit is where creativity comes to play.
Do it right the first time
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
ok, sorry for the confusion siegex, raydawg is correct, i think i misunderstood about the escape, i didn't catch what you were exactly trying to do, but it actually is a very littlie shy of double din, not much, just the lip where the kit snaps into the bezel, and as ray said its fun to secure, but to be safe i agree with 1" to have a little to play 
seigex 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

1" will work.. i can always make a cover to go around it to cover up any extra.. what i'm doin is throwin a little "control center" under it for A/V inputs and cellphone input an extra power point and porting the LED's from my radar detector (which will be hidden) to it... hoping it all works out.. thanks for the info

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic