icon

Sub & Enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

I'm finally at a crossroads of expanding my current system, which I will list below, and I would appreciate any input regarding adding a sub to round it out. Now, I'm not into SPL, but am a big fan of SQ, however, funds are limited so I tend to buy the best that I can one piece at a time. I want one 10" sub which will be powered by a Coustic 161SE. Bridged mono this little amp pushes 160 wrms at 14.4V. I know that in real world power I won't actually acheive the 160 wrms, but I imagine somewhere around 130 to 140, which is plenty for me. I ike my bass to be tight and well focused, rather than the big "BOOM" "BOOM" that you tend to hear from someone with a trunk full of 12's. Here is a list of what I have installed in my 1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr:

Pioneer Premeir DEH-P550MP CD/MP3/WMA Player

US Acoustics 4050 4 channel amp (4x50wrms)

JBL GTO635 (6 1/2, 3 way) located in the front door panels.

MB Quart DKC 169 (6x9, 2 way) located in the rear deck.

Coustic 161SE (2 channel amp to be bridged mono), not yet installed.

I would like to know your recommendations for a sub and type of enclosure that will best suit my needs. Building my own box is not a problem as I have AutoCAD and access to all the tools one could ever need. Please keep in mind that I'm not looking to drop a whole lot of money on this, so the less money that I can spend the better...FREE would be great (LOL!).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Razorbacx

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

I like a 12" for SQ and lower freq response.  My recommendation for your system and budget is this Cerwin-Vega  http://.../cevhed12svc.html  The manufacturer says sealed box at .8 ft3, filled with dacron.  I use one and built the box to .89 (incl. the .07 speaker displacement), and filled with Acusta-Stuf polyfil.  The sub is very efficient and runs well on power of 75 watts to 200.  Mine is currently on an amp rated at 150 watts @ 14.4V.  I do get a lot of cabin gain in my Taurus, but even with less cabin gain you should get more than enough deep base for your system.  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the SQ and build quality, especially at that price.  And its made in the USA.

The reason I know it runs well at 75 watts is because I originally made the mistake of buying the same sub in the DVC 4 ohm version, and ran it at 8 ohms.  So I was giving it only a generous 75 watts.  It pounded with that little bit of power.

Bendog 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
for sound quality the best would be a sealed box and if you have access to all tools is just a matter of getting the wood 3/4 MDF about 20 which is a board about 4' X 8' which should be more than enough for a 10" sub. i would suggest looking at the subs you like a narrow it down go to a shop and hear what sounds best but some good SQ companies would be JL, mb quart theres alot of them
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
The JL W0s are pretty good subs. If you had a bigger amp I would reccomend the Infinity kappa line but.... 140 watts isnt going to match well with those. You might want to look at Alpine's type s subs also.
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Ditto on the S.  I just got an Type R 12 cuz i need a little more output.  But the Type S is real close- very good SQ for the $, and they hit hard too!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic