icon

Is it the subs or amp??

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hot_shot_guy123 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
Hi I have a little problem I'm trying to figure out here. I have a sony XM-2165GTX amp and 2 10" kaption subs. it's been happening often that the protection light has been comming on. The box was wired to 8ohms when I picked it up. I spliced the positive and negative wires from the 1 sub to the other sub to make it a 4ohm load. Could the connection I did here be shorting out something? Also when I shut the car off I get a pop from the subs. Another thing I forgot, the amp is bridged. I had a 8" jbl I got for free before running on this amp and I don't recall hearing this pop or having the amp protection light come on. That is why I'm leaning more towards the box hook-up. The ground is less than a foot and it attached to bare metal. If anyone can help me out here that would be great.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
If you just spliced the 2 subs together and their 4 ohm subs it could be droping the load to 2 Ohms, and with your amp bridged it will over load the amp since bridging can only handle 4 Ohm loads. You have to wire each sub to a separate channel.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

You could also be referring to a common problem found in the sony 2-channel amps.  I've have the 1002hx? and 2165sx, and over the years I've come to find out that these amps are notorious for going into protection when bridging them to run subs.  They're fine for running anything in 2-channel like midrange, but for some reason they can't handle the demands of a single bridged sub.  I haven't used anything sony since the sx a few years ago, but unless they've rectified the problem you could be SOL.

P.S.  You can expect a channel (the right, I think) to completely fry within three years if you continue to drive it into protection.  It happened on both of my amps.  One was out of warranty and the other had a three year so it was replaced.  To this day it only runs my 6x9's without any problems.

bryceyaworsky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

You could also be referring to a common problem found in the sony 2-channel amps.  I've have the 1002hx? and 2150sx?(2001), and over the years I've come to find out that these amps are notorious for going into protection when bridging them to run subs.  They're fine for running anything in 2-channel like midrange, but for some reason they can't handle the demands of a single bridged sub.  I haven't used anything sony since the sx a few years ago, but unless they've rectified the problem you could be SOL.

P.S.  You can expect a channel (the right, I think) to completely fry within three years if you continue to drive it into protection.  It happened on both of my amps.  One was out of warranty and the other had a three year so it was replaced.  To this day it only runs my 6x9's without any problems.

bryceyaworsky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
oops.  read the second one.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic