icon

component speaker choice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mross014 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

I want to purchase some component speakers, but I am uncertain which ones. I need 2 sets of  6 3/4 component speaker to make my system complete. I am willing to spend about $300.00 for all of them. Or does anybody think that higher quality speaker (those that cost $250.00 to $350.00 a pair) really make that much difference. Should I go with JL Audio, Focal, Alpine, MB Quart, or Kicker? JL Audio bottom of the line (TR 650-CSI, 6.75") go for $139.00 + shipping and I can get  Kicker (K65.2, 6.75") for $129.00 + shipping. Are these good enough? They will be amped by a Kicker 600.4 @ 75 watts x 4 at 4 ohms from an Alpine CDA-9805 deck.

LivnLouder by the paycheck
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
I like the Kicker over the JL but I would also like to throw out the infinity reference speakers as an option. They are gonna be in the same price range but I think they sound better.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
Also check out the Alpine Type-S component systems, they can be found for $150 or less.
mross014 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
I like Alpine but the RMS rating is only 50 watts.
One_Evil_Necro 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Higher Quality components DO make a difference in your system, however one must go with what is affordable to them.  For the price that you are looking to spend, maybe around 50 bones more you can get 2 sets of MB quart, I think you would be happy with them... Also do you need 2 sets of components?  Coaxials make a great rear fill speaker and will leave you a few extra bucks for your front components. =)
~Jay
mross014 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

I was told the same thing about co-axe for rear fill, but these speakers are going to be put in a GMC  Safari  Van, so I have a lot of rear fill. The 6.75" speakers are positioned low in the doors with a lot of carpet just 6" below. The rear seat is also blocking any form of imaging. The only help is the 4x6 speakers on the rear pillar. I thought if I put components in the rear, I would at least be able to elevate the tweeter at ear level off of the corners near the rear door frame. Plus, the Infinity co-axes that are in there now sound a bit boomy.

lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

mross014 wrote:
I like Alpine but the RMS rating is only 50 watts.

Higher Quality components usually are.

Usually if you want high quality, you'll be listening at moderate levels of volume...

Once you go past a certain level of Decibels ( Don't remember what it was at the moment)  it becomes harder and harder to perceive details in the music. So basically, if you really want quality,  then you probably won't need much power, on the other hand if what you want is loudness, then you really don't need the quality.

And believe me... 50Watts RMS in mid-hig frequencies is LOUD.

mross014 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
I like quality sound and loudness. I like to listen to music as loud as it can go without hurting my ears or my hearing. I was at Circuit City one time and this guy had an awsome looking system, so I asked him if I could jump inside and listen to it. Of course he wanted to show off. He cranked it to the point that I immediately covered my ears, it still hurt with my ears covered. The bass was killing my eardrums. He just kept cranking it and was laughing, I jumped out. I guess he won't be doing a lot of laughing when he is older. He will pretty much be practicing on the word, Huh?
pfitz 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
What about the Overdrive series from Blaupunkt?
rknj01 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
i have a set of cerwin vega components that are very good and they were pretty cheap. 75 bucks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic