the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

D class amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
You are creating a monster, just because you have extra amps or speakers does not mean that you have to use them. Use the rca y splitter on the sub channel and run it to the sub amp. Use the 4 channel MTX amp for the front and rear speakers. I count mid / highs as one pair of speakers as they generally have a passive crossover that both the mid and tweeter wire into, thus one set of speaker wires from the amp. What speakers exactly do you have and where do you plan on putting them. Your list of equipment seems to grow by the post, post all of your equipment and state whether you have it or are going to be purchasing / replacing it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

You can still hook up as many subs as you want actually, I have hooked up no fewer than 36 single 4 ohm sub to Rockfords old Power 150.1 amplifier. The smallest mono amp that they had and it knocked the phone off the wall in the Subway next door.

Whoaaa! Could you PM me the whole story?

forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

How's about I let it out of my bag of tricks for all to see, it is really quite simple. As long as the amp sees a stable impedence, we can do pretty much anything. Here is how I did this, if I remember right.

Take 36 single voice coil 4 ohm subs, I used the basic Rockford punch subs.

Take 18 generic ported dual 12" sub boxes. I used the Megahertz CR212P ( a perfect match to the subs)

Stack the boxes 6 high and 3 wide. Install all the subs. Take a sheet of 1/2" plywood and anchor the backs of the boxes together (don't want the leaning tower of subwoofers)

Wire all boxes in series to 8 ohms each, thus 18 8 ohm loads

Think of each stack as two stacks of three 8 ohm subs, parallel wire the three boxes together, each stack of three now should have a reading of 2.67 ohms. Parallel the top stack of three to the bottom stack of three on each stack of 6. Each stack should now have a reading of about 1.145 ohms.

Now you should have 3 stacks each with a reading of 1.145 ohms, series wire each stack for a final reading of about 3.345 ohms.

I'm going from memory here and this looks pretty close to what I had, can't remember for sure. This setup wails, even though each sub was only seeing about 5 watts, it played well into the 140db range here in the front of the store. No replacement for displacement. And yes indeed it did knock the phone of the wall next door.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
You had that many subs in stock? Did you have any mids or highs or just the subs?
forbidden 
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I specifically made this wall to show the customer what the capabilities of a Rockford mono amp really were. My competition kept telling my customers different so I proved them wrong and let the wall stay for one full year. I like my competition, they send me business. The wall was hooked to the sub out on my Rockford display so yes I could actually listen to this wall as well with a decent set of components.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
I've read that there is a 3 db gain just by adding the surface area of another subwoofer.  If this is true for a situation like this where a relatively small amount of power is used, that's an increase of over 100 decibels.  Is this right?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Each time that you double your surface area you gain 3 db, thus 1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16 - 32 - 64. You are close but no banana. The same formula applis for power, 50watts - 100 watts = 3db. 100 - 200 watts = another 3 db. 100 - 125 watts = sweet fa.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
oh.... ok.  That was way off.  Then the db increase (due to surface area) with the 36 subs amounted to just slightly over 15 decibels.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
52brandon 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
ok, my entire list of what I have and what I plan to buy: Head Unit: Clarion DVS9755z, Speaker Amp: MTX Thunder 6304, Speakers (need to buy still): planning on Infinity Kappas but still undecided (please let me know other suggestions) the sizes are 5.25 for 2 pairs and 6x9 for 1 pair, My subs are the Audiobahn ABP15(4 ohm, single voicecoil, 500 watts RMS each). I am going to be running these off of a 1/0 gauge power wire into a distribution block that splits it into up to 4 different 4 gauge outputs and all twisted pair RCAs. The things I need to get still and would like to get some suggestions from you people that have more experience than I are: a 2 channel amp for my 6x9s, a Monoblock for my subs, new speakers, a 5 farad cap and speaker wire (probably 14g twisted pair). Thanks a lot for all of your help.
52brandon 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
up
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic