icon

4 channel amp and 1 dvc sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bp_viper 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
i have a few misc. stuff laying around and want to make something of it. i have a lanzar vibe 438 4 channel amp and a 10 inch jvc cs-wg1000 dvc sub. i was wondering if i could bridge the 4 channel to 2 and hook it up to each vc? if so is that amp too much power for the sub? the sub is 800 watts max the amp 2x700 RMS. i think it might be overkill. otherwise should i hook up the 4 channel to two 12" lanzars? i had them on another post ( need specs on amps and subs) trying to figure out what they were rated. either way how should i wire them. up for any input or other options. thanks
bp_viper 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
sub is 4+4 ohm amp is 2-4 ohm stable
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hey! By all means, If the amp can take the bridged Ohm load go on...

The only way you can blow the sub would be by playing at full power for a long time.

On the other hand if the Sub is rated beyond the amps capabilities then your sub will be in danger because the amp will drive it into clippling.

Whatever you do, Take pictures!!!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go. You can overpower a sub all day long, if the sub can dissipate the heat that is generated it will play all day long without fail. If you overpower a sub and the sub cannot dissipate the heat, then it will fail, as it will also by being fed a clipped signal. So in part you are correct. You can also underpower a sub all day long and never have a problem with the sub , provided the amp does not go into clipping. Post up some more suggestions for this person and let's see how close you guys are.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bp_viper 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
i am most worried about what the ohm load would be on the amp and how to wire the sub up. i was not sure if the sub would be alright to have a 4 channel bridged and hooked to each side of the dvc. thanks for the responses
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

and right you are to worry about that.  Each voice coil must get the same voltage.  it would be very difficult to adjust the amp so that both front and back gains are identical.  and even more difficult to keep it that way.

That doesn't seem like the best way to put those spare items to use.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bp_viper 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, found this- http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/diffsignals.html so will probly not go that way with the one 10. now thinking the 4 ch to the 2 12's? 2 12" dvc subs one 4 ch amp 2 ohm or 4 ohm stable. just dont know how to wire it...
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

If the Lanzar subs are DVC 4 ohm, wire the sub in series then bridge to 2 channels like this

4 channel amp and 1 dvc sub -- posted image.

It would be better if the subs are dual 2 ohm.  You would wire them the same way but you'd get more power, like this

one sub on channels 1 and 2, the other sub on 3 and 4.  Bridged.  (The amp is labelled as bridgeable?)

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Holy nightmare unfolding before my eyes. 4 channel amp and 1 dvc sub -- posted image.. We can sort this out though. If you have a 4 channel amp, most of these amps or only stable in this fashion. Very few 4 channel amps are stable to 2 ohm bridged.

(1) 4 channels @ 4ohms

(2) 4 channels @ 2 ohms

(3) 2 channels @ 4 ohms

(4) 2 channels @ 4 ohms and 1 channel at 4 ohm

(5) 2 channels @ 2 ohm and 1 channel at 4 ohm

In any case if you are going to use this amp to power more than 1 sub, each sub must now be in it's own separate enclosure. This is due to small to us but large to subwwofer discrepancies in the crossovers, gain setting and tolerance levels of each channel. We don't want one sub interfering with the other. If I had two subs, I would probably run it in method# 4. With two dvc subs, here is how to wire it. Use the other 2 channels of the amp to run the front speakers.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

I defer to Rob...his is the voice of reason.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic